Please note: Map markers are approximate and for illustration purposes only.

Human Rights Abuses in Sudan Over the Month of October 2015



During the month of October our network of human rights monitors have reported and verified 71 incidents of human rights abuses throughout four of the five states of Darfur, in addition to the states of South Kordofan, West Kordofan, Blue Nile, Khartoum, Kassala and the Red Sea.

SUDO (UK) has assessed that the Government of Sudan is responsible for 32 of the 71 abuses. This includes acts conducted by the Rapid Support Forces (3), the Border Guards (2), the Sudanese Armed Forces (5), the Sudanese Air Force (1), Military Intelligence (9), local government officials (3), the Humanitarian Aid Commission (1), police (3), and the National Intelligence and Security Services (5). Meanwhile, acts conducted by various militias throughout Darfur categorised as Janjaweed were responsible for 34 such abuses, whilst the SPLM-N committed two with four conducted by unknown assailants. There were further situations involving the behaviour of oil companies in West Kordofan and a case of collective punishment perpetrated by traditional leaders of the Al-Mahamid ethnic group. Various incidents involved several of the aforementioned groups working in cohort, notably Government and pro-Government forces.

The 71 incidents of human rights abuses include the murder of 35 civilians (three children), the destruction of nine villages and the partial destruction of eight, the rape of 38 women including nine minors, the kidnapping of 12 persons, one aerial bombardment consisting of 22 barrel bombs dropped over civilian targets in East Jebel Marra, one closure of a civil society group in Khartoum, and 26 arrests including seven situations explictly involving the use of torture.

Incidents and Trends Observed Over the Month of October

Continued impunity as a result of a lack of police action and de facto immunity in Darfur

As stated there were 71 incidents of human rights abuses throughout Sudan verified by SUDO (UK)’s network of human rights monitors. Out of these 71 incidents, more than half of which were explicitly mentioned by monitors as having been reported to the relevant authorities. It further transpires that 29 of which resulted in no action from the respective Government institution or that the action simply involved the filing of a case against an unknown with no effort going to investigate or apprehend the perpetrator, even in cases when the perpetrator(s) is known to both the victim(s) and the authority in question.

In other cases the perpetrator(s) is known as an acquaintance or a relative of an influential person and is thus de facto immune from prosecution. This has been witnessed in various reports made by SUDO (UK) in recent months including that of Ahmed Abakr, the former Executive Director of Kass Locality, who had been accused of sexually assaulting a minor. This month monitors recorded an incident on the 15th October in South Darfur where upon a Janjaweed militia killed one farmer and fled after confrontation with a combined armed force, which successfully pursued the perpetrators. When apprehended an RSF Captain by the name of Salahedin Musa embedded within the pursuing force noticed his brother amongst the perpetrators and demanded his release in addition to the other assailants.

The above simply adds further complexity to a growing list of explanations – whether de facto or de jure – that guarantees impunity to actors throughout Darfur.

Continued attacks on farmland and farmers in Darfur

SUDO (UK) monitors mentioned the term “farm” in respect to human rights abuses in Darfur on 18 separate occasions.  Such attacks included the destruction of farmland (North Darfur 2nd October), physical attacks on farmers traveling to and from their land (South Darfur 18th October), forceful entering of livestock (South Darfur 15th October), rape (South Darfur 15th October), and attempted rape (South Darfur 1st October).

Clear indications that this is a deliberate policy can be found in two particular reports in the month of October. On the 10th October in North Darfur the Rapid Support Forces and the Border Guards attacked farms in East Jebel Marra with the clear intention of destroying the land and forcing the displacement of the farmers. Whilst on the 28th October, also in North Darfur, a Janjaweed militia attacked farms in the area of Abu Zaid and Hawar Tator. Six women were raped, including one minor, as a direct result of returning to their farmland after having previously been warned away by the militia. The intentions of these two attacks are not reasoned by monitors as potential conclusions to be drawn from the attacks, rather the perpetrators themselves have directly stated their reasons for committing such acts to the civilians themselves in both circumstances.

Continued militia attacks in the Kutum area by forces loyal to Badr Abu Keneish

In last month’s report SUDO (UK) report monitors identified four attacks in the Kutum area that were associated with the militia leader Badr Abu Keneish. Throughout late October these attacks continued to take place against the civilian population in the Kutum area. Starting on the 23rd October the militia under the command of Badr Abu Keneish and Al-Nour began a five day assault on civilians to the north and to the east of Kutum. The attacks led to the destruction of four villages and the partial destruction of seven further villages. During the attack farmland was devastated and civilians were displaced to Kutum, Melit and the Western Mountains.

In addition to attacks by the militia under the command of Badr Abu Keneish and Al-Nour, there were further attacks by a Janjaweed unit operating out of Al-Guba settlement, possibly also under the command of Al-Nour. The militia attacked farms in Um Sidr, in the locality of Kutum, resulting in the injury of one woman and the abduction of seven civilians. There is currently no police force situated within Kutum, rather elements from the Sudanese Armed Forces are garrisoned within the area, but have thus far failed to intervene in any attack.

Blue Nile detentions, one civilian dies in container in Demazin

For the past two months SUDO (UK) has reported the detention of over 100 civilians in containers situated in the Sudanese Armed Forces headquarters in Demazin. Until last month monitors had thus far named 25 of these individuals. A 26th person has been named as Tarig Ali, a 40 year-old farmer from Fazogli in Geisan locality, who was arrested in February this year by Military Intelligence. As a result of the inhumane conditions afforded on detainees, Tarig Ali died in custody on the 5th OctoberFollowing his death a further eight civilians have been detained in similar conditions. A full list of those named in detention in the containers is as follows:

  1. Awad Gago
  2. Aleid Younis
  3. Gumaa Hamdoon
  4. Hassan Awad
  5. Ali Alim Moon
  6. Aboud El-Jack
  7. Al-Omda Wad Bari
  8. Abas Abu Jo
  9. Gadgin Mohamed Ahmed
  10. Haroon Libis Tarzi
  11. Aboud Ali El-Nour
  12. Abdelrazig Adam
  13. Hassan Wad Kelgo
  14. Al-Mak Bakha
  15. Haroon Murad
  16. Suleiman Takul Tarabaiza
  17. Beshir Kadis
  18. Jaklo Mulah
  19. Hussein Hamad Malfa
  20. Abu Al-Hol Tunor
  21. Eisa Ramadan
  22. Serbit Osman
  23. Suleimag Farag
  24. Kindi Hamid
  25. Khalad Hago
  26. Tarig Ali – DEAD
  27. Abdalla Al-Badri - NEW
  28. Mohamed Al-Radi Mohamed - NEW
  29. Faisal Hassabelrasoul - NEW
  30. Ali Khamis - NEW
  31. Awad Gumaa - NEW
  32. Omer Eisa Tagroor - NEW
  33. Mohamed El-Toum Awad - NEW
  34. Bandos Faisal – NEW

The above individuals are only allowed to leave the containers twice a day to go the toilet. They are denied access to lawyers, family and healthcare, and many of who have suffered/continue to suffer torture at the hands of Military Intelligence officials.


Using reports submitted by SUDO (UK) monitors, SUDO (UK) recommends the following:

To the Government of Sudan:

To the Armed Opposition Groups:


Incident Reports

North Darfur


The village of Sowaisa situated in Tawila locality was attacked by a Janjaweed militia riding on the back of camels and horses. A local merchant by the name of Adam Norain Mohamed was killed during the assault, following which the militia looted the village before setting it on fire, in addition to the neighbouring farms in Wadi Fasi.


A combined force consisting of troops from the Janjaweed and the Rapid Support Forces attacked the village of Nimra in East Jebel Marra. Riding aboard eight vehicles the force raped two girls and looted livestock and personal possessions, before destroying 200 homes through arson. The attack forced residents to flee Nimra towards Tabit.


Members from a Janjaweed militia kidnapped 20 year-old Yagoub Shomo Saboon, a Zaghawa IDP in Rwanda Camp, from Martal situated 15 km from Tawila, and took him to an unknown location. The militia were riding on the back of 17 camels and six horses. They have since sent a message demanding his family pay SDG 100,000 for his release. The police have been informed but no action was taken.


Three members of a Janjaweed militia attacked Al-Mawashi market and the main transport station in Al-Fasher at 14:00 in full view of the local police and the Sudanese Armed Forces. During the attack Salahedin Abkar Yahyia, a 42 year-old Fur transport driver from Kergo in Kabkabeyia, was shot dead. Following the attack the civilians that had fled the scene returned to carry the body of the deceased to the police, but no action was taken. Salahedin Abkar Yahyia was married man with seven children.  


A Janjaweed militia attacked and looted a small village near Fanga, eventually setting the entire village ablaze. During the attack Yousif Abakr, a local merchant, was shot dead after he resisted the militias attempt to loot his shop. His wife and sons were taken from their house and severely beaten before it too was set on fire.


Government forces based in Fanga fired three artillery shells, which resulted in the death of two children who were grazing their cattle 5km south of Fanga. The attack also led to the death of 12 cows, 17 sheep and the serious injury of 50 heads of cow and sheep.

The dead children have been named as:

  1. Yousif Abakr Ahmed, a 10 year-old Fur shepherd from Fanga.
  2. Ayman Ibrahim Salih, a 12 year-old Fur shepherd from Fanga.

An eyewitness informed monitors that after reporting the incident to the police they refused to file the case, whilst they even went as far as to threaten the parents of the children against speaking about the incident.


A 12 year-old girl was raped by four members of a Janjaweed militia after she left her house to fetch water from a well near her village of Kalkla. The girl was later found unconscious and lying in the bed of a seasonal river by other women who had undertaken the same journey to fetch water. The girl was taken to the hospital in Tabit and the police were informed. No subsequent action was taken by the police. 


Three Janjaweed militia men attacked students at their school in Aradaiba Camp near Tabit at 13:00. During the attack the armed men killed Abdulgasim Siddig Musa Abdulghani after he refused to hand over his mobile phone. The police were informed but no action was taken.


Three Janjaweed militia men attacked the house of El-Sadig Ahmed Daffalla Imam, a 50 year-old Tungur from Al-Higra neighbourhood in Al-Fashir. At 21:00 the militia members opened fire on El-Sadif Ahmed Daffalla Imam’s house killing him instantly. Neighbours immediately ran to the family’s aid causing the perpetrators to flee the scene. Upon examination the men had left behind a Kalashnikov emblazoned with the Arabic stating “Rapid Support Forces”. Monitors were unable to determine whether the weapon was stolen/gifted from the RSF or whether the perpetrators themselves are RSF members. The police were informed of the incident but took no further action.


A Janjaweed militia led by Al-Amin Adam Rajal, a 35 year-old Rezaigat from the village of Um Sheraina in Um Galabag area, attacked Abdo Zakaria Suleiman, a 35 year-old Tungur from Derma village, as he was on his way to tend to his farm.

The victim was stopped by the militia riding on the back of three camels and two horses at 10:00 and asked his ethnicity. When he replied he was a Tungur the militia stated that they did not want any Nuba around the area and one man hit him with his gun before looting his personal belongings and leaving the victim as they continued toward Um Galabag. The victim was later found by fellow IDPs and taken to the hospital.


A combined force consisting of the Rapid Support Forces and the Border Guards attacked farms in East Jebel Marra with the intention of destroying them and forcing the farmers into displacement. Sources mention that the attackers explicitly stated that the farmers should not be cultivating this area as this was not their territory; rather they should confine themselves solely to camps or other lands. Abdelmagid and Dawood Younis were shot dead following their attempts to resist the militia. The police were informed but no action was taken.


Members of a Janjaweed militia driving two technical vehicles armed with Doshka machine guns shot dead Abdelsalam Mohamed Abdelshafie, a 36 year-old Fur IDP from Al-Salam IDP Camp in Kabkabeyia, after he refused to hand over his motorcycle. The police have been informed but no action has been taken.


A Janjaweed militia, originating from Al-Guba settlement, attacked farms in Um Sidr situated in the locality of Kutum, some 75km north-east of Kutum town. The militia, numbering some 25 individuals, fired upon the farmers and beat those they could catch. This led to the injury of Mariam Abdalla Mohamed, a 35 year-old Zaghawa from Um Sidr, and the abduction of seven women.

The seven women have been named as:

  1. Muna Tibin Yagoub, a 27 year-old Zaghawa from Um Sidr.
  2. Umedin Abdalla Haroon, a 53 year-old Zaghawa from Um Sidr and mother to Muna Tibin Yagoub.
  3. Souad Adam Idrid, a 37 year-old Zaghawa from Um Sidr.
  4. Mariam Abakr Bushara, a 36 year-old Zaghawa from Um Sidr.
  5. Khadiga Abakr Bushara, a 34 year-old Zaghawa from Um Sidr and sister to Mariam Abakr Bushara.
  6. Unknown.
  7. Unknown.

The Sudanese Army garrisoned in Kutum was informed of the event but have taken no action. There is currently no police force in Kutum. The militia continue to graze their livestock on the farms rightly belonging to those displaced.


Four Janjaweed militia men attacked the home of Fatima Kora, an IDP from Al-Mawashi IDP Camp, tying her up and abducting her 13 year-old son who is a student at the School in the Camp.

Three men entered the home restraining Fatima Kora and three of her sons with rope before kidnapping Faisal Mohamed, whilst the fourth man remained outside stopping the neighbours from interfering. When the perpetrators left the neighbours removed the ties and informed the police, though no action was taken. Fatima Kora and her family are from the Fur ethnic group.


Three girls were raped by six members of a Janjaweed militia in an ordeal that lasted for four hours in East Jebel Marra. The girls left their home situated in the village of Kira in Kitingeer area for the purpose of fetching firewood. The girls were then attacked and left lying on the ground to be found later by farmers who were returning to the village after tending to their farms. The farmers took the victims to the hospital before filing a case with the police. The families of the victim travelled to the site where the militia was garrisoned and complained to the commander regarding the incident who argued that the behaviour of his troops was not his responsibility and that the families should leave to look after their daughters.


The Sudanese Air Force indiscriminately bombarded two villages in East Jebel Marra resulting in the use of 22 barrel bombs. At 10:00 Antonov planes began to bomb the villages of Al-Aradeeb and Dobo Al-Omda, in addition to neighbouring areas.


Mustafa Abakr, a 30 year-old Tungur from Feta Barno IDP camp in Kutum, was shot in the leg by three Janjaweed militia men as he was returning from a club to his home. The men looted his mobile phone and SDG 100, following which the victim was taken to Kutum hospital for treatment and the Sudanese army was informed of the incident but took no action.


Four women, including two minors, were attacked and raped in an ordeal that lasted six hours by 16 members of a Janjaweed militia in Karfula, 8km south east of Tabit. The women left their homes in order to fetch water from the well situated in Karfula when they were attacked by the militia riding on the back of camels wearing military attire. As the incident unfolded, several IDPs alerted the local police who told the IDPs to go the Sudanese Armed Forces, who in turn stated that it was not their responsibility to intervene. When the IDPs returned to the scene of the incident in order to take matters into their own hands the perpetrators had already fled. The victims were then taken to the hospital situated in Tabit.


Three girls were kidnapped from a water yard near the village of Tabit by four Janjaweed militia members driving an armoured Landcruiser vehicle dressed in military uniform.


Six Janjaweed militia members attacked four women in Sori, west of Khazan Gadeed in the Tabit area, killing one and raping another.

A survivor told monitors that at 14:00 six men wearing military uniform with their faces masked with Al-Kamadol and riding on the back of camels attacked their farms. At this point the women were told that they were going to be raped for the remainder of the day and the men began firing into the air, causing the women to disperse and run in different directions. The perpetrators managed to capture two of them, one of whom was a 25 year-old Fur who was shot in the chest as a result of her resistance, whilst a 17 year-old Fur was caught and brutally raped.

The two other women then fled back to their village to call for help and returned to the scene with support, by the time which the perpetrators had fled. The 17 year-old girl was taken to the hospital and the Sudanese army was informed of the incident in Tawila. However, not only did they fail to act, but they also filed a case against the three surviving women under laws pertaining to Zina (illicit sex).


On this day a large Janjaweed militia under the command of Badr Abu Keneish and Al-Nour began a five day assault on civilians to the north and east of Kutum. The militia began its attack utilising seven technical vehicles, 120 camels and 80 horses, which eventually led to the destruction of four villages and the partial burning of seven further villages. Farmland has been devastated as the militia have used the land to graze more than 10,000 heads of cattle, whilst forcibly displacing the civilians to Kutum. Melit and the Western Mountains.

An eyewitness to the attack told monitors that the attacks led to the injury of two civilians named as Haja Yagoub Bashr and Fatima Suleiman Bashr, both from the Zaghawa ethnic group.

The four villages completely destroyed are named as:

  1. Daba Nayra
  2. Hillat Hamid Zakaria
  3. Hilat Dani
  4. Id Al-Girid

The seven villages partly destroyed by arson are named as:

  1. Gedba
  2. Shagrgali
  3. Tima
  4. Kima
  5. Yadri
  6. Tinteen
  7. Nadi  

The police in Melit were informed of the attack as were the Sudanese Armed Forces based in Melit, but no action was taken. At the end of the month the militia were still using the area to graze their cattle.


A Janjaweed militia attacked Abu Zaid and Hawar Tator areas, which lies 20km to the west of Tabit. During the incident six women were raped including one 13 year-old girl.

The militia arrived to the areas at 11:00 on the back of 47 camels and 24 horses from Jebel Tarni wearing military uniform though hiding their faces with Al-Kamadol. Upon finding the women present at their farms members of the militia informed the women that they had been told previously to not return to their farms otherwise face the consequences. They then began to open fire over the heads of the women and chased after them managing to catch six, who were then brutally raped multiple times by different aggressors. Following the mass rape the victims were beaten and left injured on the ground as the militia left.

Relatives appeared at the farms around 16:00 and took the victims to the Sudanese Army based in Khazan Tunjur, but the army refused to file the case and told the relatives to take them back home and treat them with traditional medicines.

The six women were aged 14, 29, 31, 46, 49, and 53 and include three Fur’s, one Zaghawa and two Tungur’s.

South Darfur


Four Janjaweed militia men attacked the shop of Ali Abdelkarim Mohamed in Sabur, Gereida at 18:30. During the attack Ali Abdelkarim Mohamed was killed and his shop looted. The police were informed of the attack but took no action.


Janjaweed militia men riding on the back of eight horses in military attire attacked Abaid IDP Camp situated east of Gereida. The militia men looted the shops of Nasir Ahmed and Fatima Elhaj, both of whom attempted to resist the perpetrators and were shot as a result of their actions. They were both taken to the hospital situated in Gereida following the attack. The police and UNAMID have been informed of the attack but neither have sought to investigate further.


Ahmed Abdalla Harron, a law graduate working at Al-Wishah Secondary School in Gereida, was arrested by members from the Sudanese Armed Forces on the suspicion that he is a member of an armed opposition movement.


A heavily pregnant woman was attacked and raped in her farm situated in Korfola by four Janjaweed militia men. The sexual assault took place over a three hour period, after which the pregnant woman was left unconscious. The family of the woman took her to the hospital in Deribat for treatment, during which the unborn baby died. The police have been informed but no action was taken.


A Janjaweed militia attacked and raped six women, two of whom were minors, in their farms situated near Deribat. The attack began at 10:00 as the men dressed in military attire and on camel back began sexually assaulting the women. The attacks lasted until 12:00 when the victims were left lying on the ground, before they were taken to the hospital in Deribat. The police have been informed but no action has been taken.


Members from a Janjaweed militia hijacked a vehicle belonging to a communication company whilst residents in Nyala were celebrating the victory of Al-Merriekh football club.


Six members of the Border Guards wearing military uniform and riding on the back of camels attacked and raped four women in their farms situated in Hashaba, which is 8km south west of Gereida.

The victims were found by other farmers returning from their work and were taken immediately to a hospital in Gereida. The police were informed and the case filed again an unknown perpetrator.


A Janjaweed militia on camel back forcibly entered farms in the Doma area, situated in Mershing 27km south of Manawashi. During which Ali Idris Adam, a local IDP, was shot dead whilst attempting to prevent the camels from grazing on his farm.

Following the shooting local IDPs informed the authority in Mershing and a combined force consisting of the Sudanese Army, NISS, the Popular Defence Forces, and the IDPs along with the Commissioner of Mershing locality went after the perpetrators who attempted to flee but were thwarted by the combined force. Among the combined force chasing the Janjaweed militia was Captain Salahedin Musa, the leader of the Rapid Support Forces unit within the area who was embedded at the time with the Sudanese Army. It transpired that one of the militia men was the brother of Captain Salahedin Musa, thus the Captain demanded his release. When the Commissioner refused to sanction his release Salahedin Musa threatened him at gunpoint, following which the Commissioner released the captain’s brother in addition to the other perpetrators.


Two IDPs, Ali Mohamed Ahmed and Adam Mohamed Ahmed, were killed by seven members from a Janjaweed militia as they were returning to Gereida from their farm situated in Dedan area, 15km from Gereida. At 17:00 the IDPs were stopped and ordered to hand over their belongings to the militia. When they refused they were both shot dead and their property was looted. The bodies were found later by farmers who informed the police in Gereida who collected the dead bodies before filing the case against an unknown perpetrator.


Abdeljabar Kabad, a businessman from Nyala, was shot dead and had his car looted whilst driving back to Nyala from his farm. Prior to this incident Ismail Wadi, another businessman, was killed in Nyala whilst another businessman named Ali Massar was injured in what was believed to be attacks by the same perpetrators.

The police were informed and were successful in catching the perpetrators and retrieving the stolen vehicle.

Central Darfur


Four displaced females, Mariam Dawood, Hawa Mohamed Abakr, Aisha Ahmed, and Fatima Abakr from Al-Batri IDP Camp, were attacked by six members of a Janjaweed militia riding on the back of camels and dressed in military attire. The women were on their way to tend to their farms situated in Kalo, 12km away from Kass, using donkeys as transport.

The militia men fired into the air as a means of forcing the women to stop, before attempting to rape them. The women resisted their efforts and were in turn beaten by sticks until they were severely wounded. Fortunately the police arrived at the scene forcing the militia men to escape. The wounded women were taken to Kass and Nyala hospitals, respectively, and no action was subsequently taken to capture the perpetrators.


A soldier from the Sudanese Armed Forces burned the shops of Adam Abdelgabar, Gaafer Hussein and Mudathir Adam Mohamed Suleiman, in addition to the cafeteria of Mohyedin in an arson attack that began at 20:00 in Nertiti. Upon complaining to the soldiers Commanding Officer, the victims were threatened by the Commander in question.


Three Janjaweed militia men riding on the back of camels and dressed in military attire attacked a woman in her farm in Kurndi, Kass locality, with the intention of sexually assaulting her. The woman resisted her attackers and was aided by Abakr Abdelmoula Hassan, her neighbour. Abakr Abdelmoula Hassan had heard the struggle and went to defend his neighbour with his knife, during which he was shot twice sustaining injuries in his left arm and his right leg. His actions combined with those of the victim fought of the attempted rape leading the perpetrators to flee the scene. Abakr Abdelmoula Hassan was taken to the hospital in Nyala after informing the police about the incident.


Five Janjaweed militia men riding on the back of camels and dressed in military attire raped and killed a woman in her farm situated in Mukjar before looting her personal belongings including her money, mobile telephone, and donkey.


Two young girls, aged 10 and 12 respectively, were attacked and raped by four Janjaweed militia men dressed in military attire riding horseback. The two girls had left their home in Bergi, situated 2km from Bindisi to collect firewood before they were attacked and left unconscious. The girls were found by a local farmer and were immediately taken for treatment at the local hospital. The police and UNAMID have been informed of the incident but no action has been taken.


Two Janjaweed militia members shot dead Abdelmajid Younis Dawood and looted his motorcycle and mobile phone as he returned home from his farm at 18:30. The police have been informed but they simply filed the case against an unknown perpetrator.


A Janjaweed militia forcibly grazed its cattle on the farm of Ahmed Adam situated in West Jebel Marra, who when trying to resist their efforts was shot dead. The police were informed but no action was taken.


Six Janjaweed militia members attacked two women in their farms in Wadi Tor, south of Nertiti in an attempted rape. The two women fought back against their aggressors leading one of the perpetrators to stab one of the victims with a knife. On hearing her cries Adam Arbab, working on a neighbouring farm, came to the aid of the women. This resulted in Adam Arbab sustaining injuries in addition to the other woman.

Fortunately the two women and Adam Arbab were aided by local IDPs who rushed to help them thus forcing the militia men to escape. The victims were taken to the hospital in Nertiti, before being transferred to Kass for better treatment. The police were informed regarding the incident but simply filed the case against an unknown perpetrator.


Two Janjaweed militia members attacked and looted the shop of Adam Osman, a 25 year-old IDP, in Nertiti IDP Camp. Adam Osman was stabbed with a knife as he sought to resist the attackers. Fortunately local IDPs came to his assistance forcing the perpetrators to escape. The victim was taken to Kass hospital for treatment and the police were informed about the incident.


Five Janjaweed militia men dressed in military attire attacked and raped three women at gun point in their farm near Nertiti. The women were taken to hospital for treatment and the police were informed of the incident; however, they filed the case against an unknown perpetrator.


Yasin Mohamed Abushanab was killed by three Janjaweed militia members as he walked home from a social club in Dinar Neighbourhood, situated in Kass. At 23:00 Yasin Mohamed Abushanab was attacked by the militia men who demanded he hand over his mobile phone and money. When he refused he was first hit by a machete before being shot dead. Yasin Mohamed Abushanab’s body was found later that evening by his family after they were worried that he had not returned home. The police were informed but took no action. Yasin Mohamed Abushanab was a student.

East Darfur


A new armed movement was formed by Awad Aga, a transport driver from the Gadianiya clan of the Rezaigat ethnic group. The movement consists of 40 individuals and currently is in possession of 10 vehicles.

On Sunday 18th October, Awad Aga and his forces blocked the road between Abu Jabra and Al-Dain preventing transport from moving between the two. The State Governor of East Darfur and Mahmoud Musa, the Paramount Chief of the Rezaigat, met with this new armed group and convinced them to send representatives for discussion with the authorities in Khartoum. Ten members of the group travelled to Khartoum to negotiate with the Government on fulfilling their demands. The road continues to be blocked.


Two people from the Al-Mahamid ethnic group fought each other on a football pitch situated in Al-Ardaib, 20km south of Al-Dain. The fight resulted in the death of Mohamed Mahmoud, aged 25, as he was stabbed by the other. The family of the deceased threatened revenge against the perpetrators family, but upon intervention by moderators the father of the deceased was arrested and the family ordered to leave the area without being allowed to collect their belongings.

South Kordofan


A pharmacist was arrested by Military Intelligence on the accusation that he was a member of SPLM-N after complaining about the aforementioned Military Intelligence officers illegally confiscating his medicines.

The incident occurred at Teiba checkpoint in South Kordofan following the joint purchase of medical supplies in Khartoum by two pharmacists that were to then be driven to Al-Muglad Town situated in West Kordofan via South Kordofan. In order to transfer the medical supplies through South Kordofan the pharmacists had to obtain the necessary permissions from the NISS and Military Intelligence which was granted. The medical supplies then left accompanied with a member of the pharmacy staff towards its destination in West Kordofan.

On reaching the Teiba checkpoint the lorry was searched and the pharmacy staff member handed over the permissions; however, this was rejected by the officers due to ineligible writing concerning the date, and the staff member was detained and the goods seized. One of the pharmacists was then summoned to the checkpoint, where, upon his arrival, the staff member was released and the pharmacist detained for three days after which he was released with his half of the medicines. During this time the second pharmacist had been called to the checkpoint, arrested, and his medicines confiscated. He was transferred to Delang and accused of being a member of SPLM-N after complaining about his treatment and that of his goods. The pharmacist remains in detention.  


During the beginning of October the proliferation of small arms utilised by soldiers under the age of 18 has resulted in one death and two injuries, in addition to numerous incidents. This trend is the direct result of deliberate Government policy in recruiting youth into the various military institutions, as well as the pro-Government paramilitary forces. Indeed the youth are attracted by high salaries including and up to SDG 3,000 per month in addition to mission incentives.

On the 6th October a 35 year-old woman was killed in Ka’ar Hajar by one such youth, whilst on the same day a girl was shot in the leg whilst sleeping in her bed in Hajar Al-Mak. Also in Hajar Al-Mark Ali Mohamed Somi, a 30 year-old man, was shot whilst sleeping in his home from a stray bullet.


One child was killed and three injured as a landmine exploded which had been placed under a tree in Marta North neighbourhood situated in Kadugli. The children had been herding goats in the area when the landmine exploded. One child has been transferred Khartoum for treatment.

NB. Marta North is primarily inhabited by Nuba Kadugli and is the outmost northern part of the town. To its west is a police recruits training school and an army base, in addition to the headquarters of the Rapid Support Forces in the area.

To its east is an open area often used by locals as a celebration venue for different social events. It is also used for grazing livestock.


Nomads in South Kordofan are increasingly grazing their cattle on farm land at the end of the day as farmers leave to return to their homes. In one incident a farmer caught a nomad with livestock on his farm and went to slaughter one of the trespassers cows. Fortunately he was stopped by a neighbour who took the nomad and his cattle to the police. The situation was resolved by the nomad paying the cost of the damage inflicted on the farmer’s land by his livestock. He was also warned against returning to the farms.

The following morning the farmers returned to their farms, which had been devastated by grazing livestock during the night. The farmers complained to the police who failed to file a case in spite of the farmers and the police both knowing the identities of the perpetrators. Consequently the farmers have lost their seasonal harvest and their annual income.

In this case and many others such acts are committed by perpetrators acting under impunity, thus only works to perpetuate a cycle of retaliation possibly leading to the outbreak of further conflict.


Heavy artillery bombardment, combined with small arms and RPGs, were fired at Marta Mountain in an unannounced training session for new recruits of the Sudanese Armed Forces, situated just 1km away from the residential area in the northern part of Kadugli at 08:00. This incident caused hysteria amongst the local population in an area that is used by the residents to graze their livestock, farm, fetch firewood and harvest wild fruits, and further exacerbated concerns of a population that is already suffering psychologically from the conflict.

West Kordofan

October 2015

Monitors have noted an increase in cases of cancer in West Kordofan following the discovery of oil and the exploitation of that resource by various organisations, particularly as a result of negative organisational behaviour within the region. Oil companies are importing chemicals for use in the drilling of oil wells, which, when empty, are then sold onto the unsuspecting population of West Kordofan who then use it for water storage.

This is compounded by the lack of basic services within the region for civilians who are required to collect water utilising natural pits above ground known as “Rahad”. These pits collect rain water, though are utilised by not only human beings but also by animals, in addition to their being contaminated by oil and chemical waste.

Oil companies are clearly not operating within their duty of care to the local community and are directly implicit in causing damage to the environment, in addition to endangering the health of the local community. Amal hospital in Khartoum North is recipient to many West Kordofan civilians who arrive for treatment, despite which many still die The oil companies present provide no service to the populations of West Kordofan.

Blue Nile

May 2015

Monitors have recently recorded the displacement of 1088 persons during the month of May from the villages of Magnza, Musfa, and Begis to Khor Berng in Roseris locality. The displacement was the result of the destruction of the villages of Mediem Al-Jabal, Magnza and Begis by the Sudanese Army and pro-government militias after accusing the population of having relations with SPLM-N.


Tarig, a 25 year-old Funj residing in Begis in Bao locality, was arrested by NISS officers who claimed that he was smuggling goods to the SPLM-N. Tarig continues to be detained inside NISS premises within Demazin. Monitors state that Tarig was beaten during his interrogation.


Tarig Ali, a 40 year-old Funj farmer from Fazogli in Geisan locality died during his detention in a container inside the Sudanese Armed Forces Headquarters in Demazin. Tarig Ali was arrested by Military Intelligence in February 2015 and was subjected to torture after being accused of communicating with the SPLM-N and providing them with information.


Al-Mak Bada, a 60 year-old Ingessana residing in Begis in Bao locality, was arrested by Military Intelligence and taken to the Sudanese Armed Forces Headquarters in Demazin. Monitors report that Al-Mak Bada was subject to torture and had been beaten with plastic pipes. Al-Mak Bada is accused of communicating with SPLM-N and providing information to them.


Khadiga, a 35 year-old tea seller in Demazin market, was detained by officers from Military Intelligence for reasons that are currently unknown. Khadiga is from the Al-Thowra neighbourhood and is being held in the Sudanese Armed Forces Headquarters in Demazin.


Saddam Mohamed Ali, a 24 year-old merchant from the Al-Rikabiya ethnic group, was arrested by Military Intelligence in Gumberta situated in Kurmuk locality after being accused of smuggling goods to the SPLM-N. He has been transferred to the Sudanese Armed Forces Headquarters in Demazin.


Six plain-clothed members of the Military Intelligence arrested Abdalla Al-Badri and Mohamed Al-Radi Mohamed, both of whom work with livestock. They were arrested after being caught grazing their livestock on a farm belonging to a Sudanese Army officer. Both Abdalla Al-Badri and Mohamed Al-Radi Mohamed have suffered from torture and are now detained incommunicado inside containers within the Sudanese Army Headquarters in Demazin


A 13 year-old student from Al-Marabaat neighbourhood in Demazin was raped by a member of the Kabogi forces (a local term for the Rapid Support Forces). The perpetrator broke into her family home when she was alone and threatened her with a Kalashnikov before sexually assaulting her. The girl was found unconscious and bleeding heavily before being taken to the hospital for treatment. The police were informed and filed a case against the perpetrator who is now in custody.


Faisal Hassabelrasoul, a 45 year-old butcher working in Demazin market was arrested by a force from Military Intelligence for reasons that are currently unknown. He has been transferred to the Sudanese Armed Forces Headquarters in Demazin where he is being held inside a container.


NISS forces dispersed a demonstration using tear gas and live ammunition against primary school students, as well as the inhabitants of Al-Higra neighbourhood in Demazin. The demonstration was the result of a decision by the local authorities to demolish the house of a resident who had lived there for 30 years, in order to give ownership of the land to another individual. In addition to the use of live ammunition and tear gas, Military Intelligence officers arrested Ali Khamis and Awad Gumaa, accusing both of agitating the students and the neighbourhood and furthermore of being members of SPLM-N. Both are reportedly being tortured and are held in containers in the Sudanese Armed Forces Headquarters in Demazin.


SPLM-N forces looted 15 cows from Ido Abdalla Sigod whilst he was grazing his cattle in Beleng area, situated in Kurmuk locality.


El-Sheikh Gamal Kumuj, a 60 year-old Chief of Beleng Ingessana village, was arrested by Military Intelligence officers dressed in plain clothes. El-Sheikh Gamal Kumuj is a cattle farmer and has been accused of selling his livestock to SPLM-N. Consequently he has been transferred to Demazin and has had 500 cows confiscated.


Military Intelligence officers arrested Omer Eisa Tagroor, Mohamed El-Toum Awad and Bangos Faisal in Beleng Ingessana, situated in Kurmuk locality, accusing the three of communicating with SPLM-N. The three men have been transferred to the Sudanese Armed Forces Headquarters in Demazin and are being held in containers.


SPLM-N forces killed nine people from the Falata Um-Broro ethnic group in Um-Gulbi area situated in Bao locality and looted 500 sheep. This is the result of the SPLM-N accusing this ethnic group of working on behalf of the Government and killing members of the Ingessana ethnic group, looting their properties and raping the women.



Throughout the 2015 Khartoum Book Exhibition NISS officials routinely monitored the books on sale by the publisher Dar Awrag resulting in the eventual confiscation of six titles. NISS justified these confiscations by claiming that issues within the books ran in contradiction to Sudanese values.


Khartoum authorities demolished a church situated in the centre of Khartoum North despite the administrative court issuing a verdict preventing the demolition. The land, belonging to the church, has instead been claimed by the Government who wish to sell the land at auction.


Members of NISS arrested a number of Darfuri students from the University of the Holy Quran as a result of a peaceful sit-in they took part in inside the university to demand exemption from the payment of tuition fees as mandated in the Doha Document for Peace in Darfur.

A large NISS force arrested:

  1. Younis Ibrahim
  2. Mohamed Adam Omer
  3. Mahgoub Hassan Adam
  4. Abdelsalam Mohamed Adam
  5. Abdelmalik Abakr Adam
  6. Mohamed Adam Omer

The six Darfuri students were charged with causing a public disturbance according to public order law. They were released on the 29th October awaiting trial.


The Humanitarian Aid Commission (HAC) ordered the closure of the “Mahas Tribe Club” in Khartoum. The “Mahas Tribe Club” consists of a sub-sect of the Nubian population known as Mahas, who predominantly reside on the banks of the Nile in the far north of Sudan. Their club premises in south-central Khartoum have been locked by the police and a copy of the HAC decree pinned onto the doors. It is believed that the organisation has been closed due to its vociferous opposition to the building of a dam in the Third Cataract.

NB. The Mahas Tribe Club is a social and cultural non-governmental organisation established in 1962. The Mahas predominantly reside in an area named after their ethnic group/nation in the north of Sudan extending 90km along the Nile between Salab village and Tambas village, north of the ancient city of Kerma and within the Third Cataract where the Government wishes to build a dam.

In 2007 the region within the Third Cataract led a protest against the dam leading to a harsh Government response which killed four youth. The club in question was a keen advocate against the building of the dam and has organised many events showcasing the negative effects of the dam on the ecology of the area, the rich historical archaeology held within the area, and the forcible displacement of the Mahas nation resulting in the destruction of its culture and heritage.


Three members of the Sudanese Congress Party have been detained by NISS following a series of political speeches in several markets within Khartoum. This was after President Omer Al-Bashir gave a speech at the ceremony opening the National Dialogue promising political parties the right to convene public events and speeches free from interference by the security services.

The three detained members are named as:

  1. Nuseiba Musabl
  2. Fouad Osman
  3. Yousif Haroon



Local authorities have begun the process of moving vegetable sellers from Gash West market without providing an adequate location for them to move in to. The vegetable sellers had previously paid into a fund set up by the prior Commissioner of Kassala in order to build a new market building in a new area conducive for their business; however, the building created was too small and did not conform to adequate standards for the sellers to move into. Consequently the new Commissioner has decided to separate the vegetable vendors around the neighbourhood of Hai Al-Arab, a location that is not conducive for selling their wares due to the distance from their consumers.


A woman accused of stealing gold from her family was raped by three policemen whilst in detention at a police centre. The woman informed her husband who immediately filed a case with an attorney. The attorney upon hearing about the incident stated that this was a case of adultery rather than rape due to the fact that the woman was not heard in the police centre crying. Fortunately the victim was represented by an advocate in court who proved beyond all doubt that the incident constituted a rape offence, leading to the three policemen being dishonourably discharged from the police force and sentenced to 20 years imprisonment.

Despite the victim receiving legal redress, she and her husband were forced to leave the home they shared with the husband’s family due to the family’s insistence that the victim brought shame upon the household.


An Eritrean woman by the name of Samrawait Islash was the victim of a scam involving two policemen who claimed they had the means of arranging her a visa to travel to Sweden. The men took her passport and extorted a large sum of money for its eventual return, which when received was badly damaged and without a visa.

Red Sea


A shipping container was found in Port Sudan with 645kg of cocaine stashed inside a shipment of refrigerators. After the drugs were found the name of the beneficiary was changed and the agent that discovered the goods died a week later.

Incident Tags