Please note: Map markers are approximate and for illustration purposes only.

Human Rights Abuses in Sudan Over the Month of January 2016



During the month of January 2016, SUDO (UK)’s network of human rights monitors have reported and verified 67 incidents of human rights abuses across Sudan involving 11 Sudanese states.

Out of the 67 incident reports submitted, SUDO (UK) has assessed that various forces under the authority of the Government of Sudan[1], as individual entities, were involved collectively in 61 instances of human rights abuses, whilst various militias known collectively as Janjaweed were responsible for 23 human rights abuses. Other perpetrators include unknown actors who were involved in two abuses, and a Gemer ethnic militia involved in one such incident. It is important to stress that multiple actors colluded in various incidents meaning that often two perpetrators would be identified in any one incident report. Most notably such collusion existed between various Government actors and indeed amongst Government actors and militias.

The 67 incident reports detail the following: the death of 129 civilians (plus four members of the Rapid Support Forces); the direct attack on over 115 villages (110 of which are recorded in Darfur); 11 incidents of displacement; the rape of 44 women; the detention of at least 53 persons in containers in Demazin, Blue Nile state; the arrest of 53 persons; five instances of torture; and one confirmed death following torture perpetrated by the National Intelligence and Security Services in West Darfur.

It is worth emphasising that the figures provided should only be considered as a starting point. For example, where reports state that “several” or “many” died, SUDO (UK) will only count the death of one individual as the exact number cannot be verified, though it is clear at least one instance has occurred. The same logic applies for other human rights abuses where data is not exact.

Serious Incidents and Trends Observed Over the Month of January[2]

Government of Sudan Offensive on Jebel Marra

On the 15th January, the Government of Sudan launched a major offensive against the Abdel Wahid faction of the Sudan Liberation Army in the Jebel Marra region.

The offensive itself has been characterised by widespread human rights abuses including the direct targeting of civilians in many instances. Large numbers of civilians, currently estimated to be over 100,000, have fled their homes since the offensive began. Whilst many of those displaced have been able to seek relative safety and have further received limited humanitarian assistance at specific IDP camps, a significant number of civilians have been unable to do so and are trapped deep within the Jebel Marra region devoid of humanitarian assistance, where they are ultimately at the mercy of undisciplined militias and indiscriminate aerial bombardments.

The targeting of civilians is evident in reports from monitors of systematic attacks against civilians fleeing the conflict by Janjaweed and pro-Government forces. On the 21st January, aerial bombardments killed 48 women as they gathered together to flee the fighting. On the same day it was reported that 11 women were raped by a militia numbering some 50 members as they nearer to Nertiti as part of a group of over 100. There were further reports of militias roaming the Jebel Marra area attacking civilians, thereby preventing the ability of displaced persons to seek relative safety at the IDP camps. Reporting from Rwanda IDP camp in Tawila stated that as early as the 24th January there were reports of over 2,000 families that were trapped in Jebel Marra in the areas of Tibra and Masla that were unable to complete the journey to Tawila, owing to the presence and actions of Janjaweed militias.

For more details see SUDO (UK)’s initial report on the Jebel Marra offensive here. Investigations are ongoing.

Eyewitness Accounts of the Inhumane Treatment of Civilians Detained Incommunicado in Blue Nile Containers

Last month SUDO (UK) reported the release of 150 detainees from containers held within the Sudanese Armed Forces Fourth Division Headquarters in Demazin, which monitors have been reporting on since August 2015. Following the release of the detainees, several testimonies were obtained which paint a harrowing picture of the detainees’ illegal detention involving clear acts of torture perpetrated by Military Intelligence officials. At this point it is worth remembering the death of Tarig Ali and the hospitalisation of Alitaa Younis, both of which were caused by the manner of their detention and ill-treatment.

Eyewitness testimony, detailed later in this report, point to the use of fire, burning plastic, hot iron, leather whips, and rubber hoses, all of which were used to cause physical harm to detainees during their detention. Released detainees furthermore confirm that there are a minimum of 50 civilians still held under these conditions within containers at the Sudanese Armed Forces Headquarters in Demazin, whilst SUDO (UK) monitors have reported a further three individuals who have been arrested are being held in containers this month.

It is further worth noting that of the 150 or so detainees that were released in December, none were ever formally charged for any crime.

Heightened Insecurity in West Darfur

An attack by a collection of militias described by eyewitnesses as “Arab”, “Janjaweed” and “Border Guards” on the village of Mouli and the surrounding areas – prompting some 5,000 displaced civilians – has led to a series of repressive acts from the West Darfur security apparatus, including acts of torture and the use of deadly force on protestors.

Following the original incident some 13 civilians have been killed, 16 injured and 33 arrested by Sudanese security services in West Darfur throughout the month of January.

In the immediate aftermath that followed the main attack on Mouli and the surrounding area on the 10th January, some 12 civilians were killed, 16 were injured and four were arrested. Eight civilians were killed by use of excessive force by members of the police, Central Reserve Police and the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) at the State Governor’s office, whilst four were killed by NISS officials on the 11th at a funeral for those who had died the previous day.

This wave of excessive and deadly force by Sudanese security soon gave way to a number of arrests characterised by incidents of mistreatment and torture, one such incident leading to the death of Salah Gamar Ibrahim, a student at the local University, on the 31st January. Three students, arrested on the 13th January, were furthermore subjected to heavy beatings by security personnel wielding water pipes. Most of those arrested in El-Geneina and the surrounding area are members of the Masalit ethnic group.

Full details of human rights abuses recorded in West Darfur can be found below in the section marked West Darfur.

Incident Reports

North Darfur


A combined force consisting of the Rapid Support Forces, the Sudanese Armed Forces and various Janjaweed militias brutally attacked areas in East Jebel Marra in an offensive that lasted from 07:00 to 17:00. Ground forces were assisted by the Sudanese Air Force with reports of two Antonovs and a helicopter.

The attacking force came from two directions; the first from Central Darfur through the south-west consisting of an unspecified number of technical vehicles, eight trucks and eight tanks. The second force attacked from North Darfur in the North East from El-Fashir through Tabit and Bahwan Tunjur. This second force travelled in 85 technical vehicles, seven trucks and five tanks.

The ground offensive took place following Antonov bombardments accompanied by heavy artillery. Monitors have recorded the killing of four civilians, though eyewitnesses estimate the number to be far higher. Civilians fled in the direction of Deribat, whilst others sought refuge in the mountains, creeks and valleys. There were concerns over the displaced due to the cold weather and the lack of food and water.

One eyewitness from Dabat Naira village stated that the ground forces killed four persons, injured one and kidnapped four children.

Monitors have identified the death of:

  1. El-Nour Omar Hamid – 17 – Fur – Dabat Naira village;
  2. Fatima Issa Yahya – 37 – Fur – Sanouka village;
  3. Abakar Yousif Saleh – 35 – Fur – Berna village;
  4. Al-Haji Musa – 48 – Ronga village.

The injury of Mariam Adam Yahya, a 36 year-old Fur from Dabat Naira village.

And the abduction of:

  1. Sara Younis Hamid – 5 – Fur – Dabat Naira village;
  2. Abdulsalam Ahmed Mohamed – 6 – Fur – Berna village;
  3. Zakia Tibin Adam – 8 – Fur – Dabat Naira village;
  4. Mustafa Harun Abakar – 10 – Fur – Dabat Naira village.


The combined force from the previous day, consisting of Rapid Support Forces, Sudanese Armed Forces and Janjaweed militias, continued to attack areas in East Jebel Marra. Ground forces scanned for targets south and north-east of Fanga, before calling in the Sudanese Air Force to bombard areas as requested.

During the strikes one civilian was killed, whilst three individuals were arrested and taken to Fanga military camp.

The deceased has been identified as Abdul Rahim Adam Hamid, a 30 year-old Fur.


  1. Kaltom Idris Elnour – 31 – Fur
  2. Saif Eldin Yahya – 40 – Fur
  3. Imad Eldin Harun – 35 – Fur

The villages attacked over the last two days include:

  1. Dabat Naira
  2. Sanouka
  3. Berna
  4. Ronga
  5. Kottom
  6. Sorri
  7. Dali
  8. Mashroo
  9. Abu Zayd
  10. Dobo al-Omda
  11. Dobo al-Madrasa
  12. Hishaba
  13. Bili


The Sudanese Air Force bombarded Kantor village situated in East Jebel Marra utilising an Antonov aircraft. The bombardments commenced at 08:00 and ended at 12:00, following which ground forces attacked the village before moving on to attack Fakaran village.

Monitors note that the ground forces consisted of Janjaweed and Rapid Support Forces numbering some 300 persons riding on camels and horses, aided by seven armed landcruisers.

The militias first attacked Kantor village leading to the rape of two women and the looting of the village. The perpetrators further burned large tracts of farmland and destroyed all water sources forcing the displacement of the local community. The militia then moved on to Fakaran village, again displacing the civilians and looting some 600 cattle and 400 sheep.

The civilians displaced were left in an open area devoid of any humanitarian assistance. They were left without shelter, health care and food.


Three Janjaweed militiamen dressed in military uniform assaulted and raped a woman in her farm near the village of Kenjarh. The perpetrators raped the woman alternately in an attack that lasted four hours between 10:00 and 14:00.


Two Janjaweed militia men dressed in military uniform shot dead Osman Omar, a local farmer, whilst he was collecting his harvest. The perpetrators further looted Osman Omar’s cattle and money.

Osman Omar was found dead by his neighbours and the incident was reported to the police in Dobo al-Omda.


Five members of a Janjaweed militia raped three women who had left their homes in Khazan Jadeed in order to fetch water from the well.

The gunmen forcibly abducted the women before taking them to an unknown place and subjecting them to five hours of sexual abuse. The women were then taken back to the place of abduction and thrown out of the vehicle to be found later by a local civilian who informed the families of the victims.

The victims were taken for treatment to a local hospital and the case was reported to the police.


Three Janjaweed militiamen, dressed in military uniform, attempted to rape a woman in her farm south of Tabit. The woman fought against the perpetrators who in turn shot her dead.

Upon hearing the sound of gunfire, local civilians rushed to the scene. By the time they arrived the perpetrators had fled the area and the victim was already dead. The incident was reported to the police who filed a case against an unknown perpetrator.


A group of Rapid Support Forces situated in East Jebel Marra kidnapped a local school director by the name of Ahmed Mohamed Hassan. The reasons for his abduction are currently unknown.


Members of a Janjaweed militia under the overall command of Badr Abu Keneish attacked Karbala village, located 10km south of Tabit, at 08:00 killing a pregnant woman and looting livestock.

Eyewitnesses state that seven gunmen dressed in military uniform opened heavy fire throughout the village. The initial gunfire killed Amira Adam Al-Helo, a pregnant 27 year-old mother of three children and member of the Fur ethnic group.

The militiamen then proceeded to loot the village of money and livestock (150 sheep) before heading back to their headquarters in Tarna Mountain, known to be the location of forces loyal to Badr Abu Keneish.


Three members of the Rapid Support Forces raped a woman alternately for a period lasting five hours in the village of Katoor.

The victim was treated at a local hospital and the incident was reported to the police.


On the 15th January the Sudanese Government launched an attack on Jebel Marra across five fronts originating from the north east, the north west, the west, the south west and the south.

The offensive began with intensive aerial bombardments from the Sudanese Air Force utilising Antonov transport planes, MiG fighter jets and helicopters, in addition to heavy artillery and rocket fire from ground troops. Monitors report the wide use of barrel bombs in such bombardments. They further note that the attacks were intentionally focussed away from villages inhabited by recent settlers, and were instead focussed primarily on densely populated villages that had previously escaped relatively unscathed from prior military assaults. These include villages such as Kaawool, Saboon Al-Faqur, Kalooketing, Jumaizah Kamrah, Naama and Daaryaah to name but a few. In one instance a bomb was reportedly dropped within 1/2km of a UNAMID base. Such was the ferocity of the aerial assault that civilians could hear the explosions from areas as far as Kass, Malam and Zalingei.

Aerial bombardments were followed by a ground strike led by tanks and other armoured vehicles. Following which other ground forces comprising of troops from units including the Rapid Support Forces and the Border Guards - in addition to various Janjaweed militias - surged forward aboard a large number of 4x4 vehicles, motorcycles, camels, and horses, in an attempt to dislodge the armed opposition. During the initial stages of the offensive monitors noted direct attacks against at least 51 villages and the resulting effects concerning vast levels of civilian displacement. Those that have been displaced have sought to travel to other locations including Kabkabiya, Tawila and Nertiti; however, many civilians were and continue to be unable to do so and have fled further into the mountainous region where they remain in a state of siege devoid of much needed humanitarian assistance.  

Monitors later confirmed the death of three children who were trapped in a remote part of the Jebel Marra region unable to flee to camps due to the presence of militias and continued fighting. The three children died from exposure to the cold and a distinct lack of healthcare afforded to those displaced and trapped within the Jebel Marra region. The children have been identified as:

  1. Ibrahim Hamed
  2. Mudesir Hassan Ali Mousa
  3. Hanan Mousa

The 51 villages originally identified are as follows:

  1. Saboon Al-Faqur
  2. Fanka Al-Gareyah
  3. Karlang Baang
  4. Deelu
  5. Barko
  6. Sheelu
  7. Maara
  8. Kalinger
  9. Daabah Naayrah
  10. Toory
  11. Kamia
  12. Koolu
  13. Balding
  14. Koraj Lay
  15. Naama
  16. Karteeng
  17. Kootii
  18. Raaya
  19. Bardaani
  20. Qadu
  21. Baary
  22. Roofta
  23. Todnteka
  24. Kara
  25. Fijli
  26. Tooringa
  27. Shaawa
  28. Teema
  29. Dalu
  30. Sheikh Mukhtaar
  31. Karoofla
  32. Koori
  33. Kilinga
  34. Kalool
  35. Katrum
  36. Tolong
  37. Kalunkra
  38. Teemi
  39. Teebi
  40. Karara
  41. Kalay
  42. Kinda
  43. Kaybi
  44. Aliba
  45. Katoorm
  46. Taawra
  47. Kalokitting
  48. Kaawool
  49. Jumaizah Kamrah
  50. Naama
  51. Daaryaah


A Janjaweed militia kidnapped six civilians from Kolgay, situated 15 km north of Tabit. They have subsequently contacted the kidnapped civilians’ families and demanded SDG 50,000 per person for their release.

Six militiamen dressed in military uniform riding on camels abducted the six persons whilst they were collecting firewood from Kolgay Mountain. The abductees had their hands tied before being taken towards Namra, 17 km south-west of Tabit. The kidnapped civilians have been named as:

  1. Ibrahim Ali Abdullah – Fur – 32 – Zamzam IDP Camp
  2. Hussein Ibrahim Abdullah – Tunjur – 60 – Zamzam IDP Camp
  3. El-Nour Osman Tahir – Zaghawa – 55 – Zamzam IDP Camp
  4. Hamid Idris Adam Haggar – 17 – Zamzam IDP Camp
  5.  Abu-Nana Osman Ahmed Issa – Berti – 18 – El Fashir
  6. El-Hadi Abubakar Adam – Berti – 20 – El-Fashir


The Sudanese Air Force killed two children in an indiscriminate attack utilising an Antonov transport plane over the area of Al-Aradeeb Al-Asharah, which also decimated large tracts of farmland.

The two children have been identified as:

  1. Yousif Hussain
  2. Hawa Hussain


Janjaweed militiamen numbering 10, dressed in military uniform riding on the back of camels, attacked and killed a local farmer by the name of Omer Salih near Borah village situated 2km south east of Tabit.

The victim was killed for refusing the militiamens’ livestock access to his farm. The incident has been reported to the police, who simply opened a file against an unknown perpetrator.


On this day an unknown militia looted the village of Kutrum in East Jebel Marra as a consequence for the inhabitants’ alleged role in the killing of nine camels. Consequently the militia looted the equivalent of SDG 220,000 as restitution. In addition to looting, the militia raped two women from the village.

Two days later relentless aerial bombardments and artillery fire had forced the majority of the residents to flee. Whilst doing so a militia pursued the women of the village and perpetrated acts of sexual violence on those it caught.


On this day 47 children arrived without their parents to Rwanda IDP Camp in desperate need of food and water.

The following day (24th) the estimated number of displaced households from Jebel Marra numbered some 520 inside Rwanda Camp, whilst there was said to be no less than 2,000 families still stranded in areas of Tibra and Masla that are unable to complete the journey to Tawila as a result of numerous Government and pro-Government militias reportedly roaming between Jebel Marra and Tawila attacking displaced persons who are seeking refuge and much needed humanitarian assistance.  


Two members of a Janjaweed militia under the overall command and control structure of Hafiz Daoud, headquartered in Damrat El-Sheikh area, killed Ali Yagoub Sharaf El-Din, a 45 year-old Tunjur, in Kutum city.

The victim was on his way to Abdel Shakour area, 10km north-east of Kutum, in search of gold when he was stopped by two militiamen dressed in military uniform who demanded that he hand over his gold mining equipment. When the victim refused he was beaten to death by the two militiamen who fled back to their militia headquarters in Damrat El-Sheikh area.

The victim’s family retrieved his body before going to the police station. The police subsequently opened a report; however, they made no moves to arrest the perpetrators.

South Darfur


A combined force consisting of the Rapid Support Forces, the Sudanese Armed Forces, and various Janjaweed militias attacked a number of villages in East Jebel Marra in both Central and South Darfur including:

  1. Aliba
  2. Kara
  3. Sabon Al-Fagr
  4. Tarnga
  5. Katrum
  6. Tawra
  7. Kalokitting


Four members of a Janjaweed militia, dressed in military uniform and riding on the back of camels, attacked and raped two young women in an incident that lasted for four hours. The young women, aged 18 and 19, had left their homes in the village of Babnoos situated to the north west of Gereida in order to gather firewood.

The two women were found by local villagers and were taken to Gereida for treatment and the incident was reported to the local police in Gereida.


Members of the Rapid Support Forces abducted Sheikh Mubarak Abd Al-Rasool from his farm in the Bargo region. The perpetrators are demanding ransom for his release.


On this date continuous aerial bombardments killed 48 women and destroyed six houses as Antonov transport planes dropped barrel bombs over the villages of Toory, Kinda and Taimi. The women had assembled together in order to flee the villages when an Antonov flew overhead and dropped three bombs killing those present.


A Janjaweed militia, dressed in military uniform and riding on the back of camels and horses, assaulted and raped 15 women in Keira village, located south of Jebel Marra.

Central Darfur


The Sudanese Air Force bombed five villages utilising Antonov transport planes killing 32 civilians. The village of Kenya was completely destroyed in the bombardments, whilst the villages of Koro, Kenda, Kalukatalng, and Karki were also targeted.

In addition to human fatalities, over 100 heads of livestock were killed thereby exacerbating the deteriorating humanitarian situation for civilians in West Jebel Marra that are seeking refuge from the Government of Sudan’s Jebel Marra offensive.


A unit from the Rapid Support Forces under the overall command of Mohamed Hamdan Daglo – AKA Hemeti – attacked and looted civilians who were on their way to Waranga market, situated in Zalingei.

During the attack eight people were killed and four were wounded. The wounded were transferred to the Zalingei Royal Hospital.


Members of a Janjaweed militia attacked a boy whilst he was herding goats in the Omda Quarter of Nertiti. Mustafa Omer Yousif was shot and his livestock looted by the militia that was then later accused of raping five women. Monitors state that there is currently no law and order in Nertiti and that human rights abuses continue to be perpetrated against unarmed civilians by the various militias.


Janjaweed militias – dressed in military uniform and riding on the backs of camels and horses – set out from the suburbs of Nertiti and attacked three villages in West Jebel Marra. The villages of Barko, Tame and Teemo were looted and their residents displaced toward the IDP camp north of Nertiti.


Members of a Janjaweed militia numbering some 50 persons attacked a group of over 100 women during which they raped 11 of them.

More than 100 women had assembled with their children in the area around Kotoor and Kilinga in order to head together towards Nertiti. When they were roughly 2km outside of Nertiti they were attacked by the 50 militiamen. The 11 women who were caught were raped multiple times for a period spanning as much as six hours.


A force of Janjaweed militiamen numbering 13, dressed in military uniform, attacked and raped a 55 year-old woman whilst her hands were bound. The woman was taken for treatment to the hospital in Nertiti where the victim was forced to undergo a hysterectomy in order to prevent toxicity.

A complaint was filed with the police.


The Rapid Support Forces attacked villages located in the north west of the Jebel Marra region, which were previously bombed only a day before by the Sudanese Air Force.

Monitors have confirmed the looting and complete destruction of the following villages during the offensive:

  1. Tira
  2. Kita
  3. Kngarah
  4. Guli
  5. Hillat Abdalbari
  6. Gurni
  7. Strna
  8. Brki
  9. Kirdan

Some 1,500 are estimated to have fled to Rwanda IDP Camp, whilst the other civilians have fled further into the mountains in an effort to distance themselves from the ongoing Jebel Marra offensive.


The Sudanese Air Force bombarded Tor area, located 30km away from Kass. The bombardment began at 08:00 and continued throughout the day leading to the displacement of some 250 families.

West Darfur


The body of Ali Al-Khalu Khabsha was found in the locality of Mouli, which is located 30km west of El-Geneina. Consequently, six Arab herdsmen were accused of the murder and were subsequently arrested.


Despite the initial arrest of six herdsmen following the discovery of Ali Al-Khalu Khabsha’s body, a number of individuals described as “Arab”, and possibly affiliated to the Border Guards, attacked the village of Mouli subjecting civilians to harsh beatings and threatening further violence should they fail to reveal the perpetrators of Ali Al-Khalu Khabsha’s death. During this attack five houses were destroyed and looted.

Civilians informed the local Government to the situation, which prompted the visit of the Commissioner. The Commissioner reportedly turned back after being blocked access by the various militias encircling Mouli village.

NB: Mouli is situated 15km south-west of El-Geneina. It is a large village with fertile agricultural land surrounded by the Kaja valley. During 2005 many of the village’s inhabitants fled as a result of frequent attacks; however, many voluntarily returned soon after owing to its importance to their livelihoods.


Following the threats made the previous day, various militias described as “Janjaweed”, “pro-government” and “Border Guards” attacked the village of Mouli and the surrounding area including that of Atieh, Bernta, and Gogar aboard 13 heavily armoured vehicles in addition to riding on horseback. As with the previous days attack, the militia subjected civilians to severe beatings, including the children. They further looted and destroyed civilian properties during their attack.

Initial estimates were that some 300 people immediately fled the village of Mouli to El-Geneina, the capital of West Darfur.

Following their displacement, the people of Mouli occupied the office of the State Governor of West Darfur, which is located next to the National Intelligence and Security Service (NISS) building. NISS officers, in collaboration with the police and the Central Reserve Police used excessive force in an attempt to disperse the crowds including the use of live ammunition and tear gas. The following have been confirmed as killed, injured and arrested, all of whom are from the Masalit ethnic group:

The following were identified by monitors as killed:

  1. Abakar Hassan Mohamed
  2. Ramadan Abdelkarim
  3. Mubarak Mohamed Yagoub
  4. Suliman Yousif Arbab
  5. Salah Haroun Goma
  6. Abdelaziz Mohamed Ahmed
  7. Taha Hussein
  8. Abdel Fatah Adam Ibrahim

The following were identified by monitors as injured:

  1. Arbab Fadul Suliman
  2. Fatima Mohamed Hassan
  3. Ramadan Al-Amin
  4. Abdelrazig Ishag
  5. Ismail Goma Abdelrahman
  6. Jamal Mohamed Ishag
  7. Abdelaziz Shido

The following were arrested:

  1. Abdulfatah Ibrahim Abdullah
  2. Adam Ibrahim Idris
  3. Al-Taib Hassan Abdullah
  4. Mohamed Adam Abdullah

Following the attack the Sudanese Red Crescent entered the State Governors Office in order to rescue those who had been injured. Two of the Red Crescent workers were subsequently shot by the security services causing serious injury. They have been identified as:

  1. Adam Abakr
  2. Taib Hassan

Those displaced are still in occupation of the State Governors Office having refused to go anywhere until the perpetrators are held accountable for their actions before a court.

NB: Local sources indicate that on the second day of the attacks on Mouli a large number of Government militias arrived in El-Geneina aboard some 150 vehicles, some of which had previously belonged to international organisations expelled from Sudan in 2009-2010.

The militias initially assembled in front of NISS offices before heading towards the military base of El-Geneina where they were addressed by the Military Commander Monwar Nugud Ismail Nugud. Following this the militias spread out over the town of El-Geneina and its surrounding areas leading to panic amongst local civilians. The markets were closed in response and there were a large number of reported thefts including 10 motorcycles, and the looting of nine shops in Abu Zar IDP Camp.


On this date the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) attacked mourners at the funeral for those killed on the previous days attack on the State Governors Office by security forces.

A large crowd had gathered in mourning for those killed on the previous day’s assault on the State Governors Office by the security services, in Abu Zar IDP Camp at roughly 08:00. Whilst the crowd were organising a peaceful demonstration, NISS officers arrived and opened fire onto the crowd killing five, including one child, and injuring seven.

The following were identified as killed:

  1. Abdelnasir Abdelkareem
  2. Mohamed Sharief Adam
  3. Yahia Goma Yagoub
  4. Talib Mohamed Sharif
  5. Mubarak Mohamed Yagoub

The following were identified as injured:

  1. Abdelmajeet Abakr
  2. Ibrahim Abdallah Mahdi
  3. Muhieldin Yasin
  4. Al-Nur Abdelaziz Abdelgadir
  5. Mubarak Omer Mohamed
  6. Sharief Adam Mohamed
  7. Abdallah Ahmed Mohamed


Fathi Ibrahim Adam (17) and Idris Adam Idris (19) were shot by Janjaweed militiamen whilst they were riding their motorcycle in Umdueen area. Following the incident the militiamen stole the injured persons’ motorcycle.


Three students were arrested by officers from the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) in three separate incidents, both relating to the disturbances originating from Mouli and the State Governors Office.

Ahmed Mohamed Ahmed, a 25 year-old student at the University of El-Geneina, was the first of the three students arrested by NISS officers. He was arrested by eight NISS officers, dressed in NISS uniform, in El-Geneina market where he works as a peddler. The NISS officers arrested Ahmed Mohamed Ahmed without an arrest warrant, and, as such, he was instructed to lie down in the vehicle so that he could not be seen by the general public. When they reached the NISS offices, located by the State Governor’s Office, the victim was stripped of his possessions before being interrogated over his alleged involvement in the previous day’s disturbance. The victim denied all allegations, which led to further interrogation that included acts of physical abuse.

Firstly, he was instructed to kneel down and hold his arms above him whilst holding three bricks in each hand. He was held in this position for roughly an hour before his arm gave way causing injury to his shoulder. The victim was then severely beaten with water pipes, following which he was questioned again concerning his alleged links to the demonstration. Again the victim denied the allegations whereupon NISS personnel beat him with water pipes until he fell unconscious. He was then placed into a small cell measuring 2x1 metres until the following morning.

That same day another student was arrested at El-Jamark market by the name of Abdelkareem Abakr Suleiman. The victim was approached by 10 armed NISS officers driving two vehicles and ordered to lie down in the vehicle. He was then taken to the local NISS office whereupon entry he was taken to a large room and beaten with water pipes by three NISS officers. The victim was then taken to a small cell similar to that Ahmed Mohamed Ahmed was placed in. During the night Abdelkareem Abakr Suleiman was taken again to an office for more interrogation. He was asked specific questions concerning the organisers of the demonstration and his own connections to them to which he denied any knowledge. He was then subject to further beatings and threats to his life before being taken back to his cell.

The next day the two separately detained students were taken to meet the Director of the NISS office along with a third student who had also been detained by the name of Abdullah Osman Mohamed. The Director apologised to the three students for the ill-treatment before releasing them stating they had been arrested mistakenly. Before they were released all three students were warned against future political activity.

Ahmed Mohamed Ahmed is a student at the University of El-Geneina and is involved in the student wing of the Mini Minawi faction of the Sudan Liberation Army.

Abdelkareem Abakr Suleiman is a 26 year old student at the University of El-Geneina.

Abdullah Osman Mohamed is a 27 year old student at the University of El-Geneina. He is a member of the United People’s Front (UPF) Students Wing.


National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) arrested three school teachers following recent incidents concerning Mouli and the State Governor’s Office.

The arrested have been named as:

  1. Goma Ali Bram – 42 – Masalit
  2. Ala El-Din Adam Ali – 36 – Masalit
  3. Al-Zain Osman Tarkina – 29 - Masalit


The National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) arrested Ala El-Din Adam Ali from his home situated in Al-Madaris area following the recent set of incidents pertaining to the State Governor’s Office.

At 15:00 two vehicles came to Aladin Adam Ali’s home containing eight NISS officials dressed in civilian uniform. Having failed to identify themselves they requested to speak with Aladin Adam Ali, who upon entry was arrested without an arrest warrant. He was asked to lie down in the vehicle so that nobody could see that he was being taken away. His whereabouts are currently unclear, even in spite of the fact that family members contacted the NISS offices asking for his location.

Aladin Adam Ali also hails from the Masalit ethnic group that has formed the centre of the recent incidents.


National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) personnel arrested Joma Ali Boram and Osman Al-Zain from their homes. Their current whereabouts is unknown and the arrests are in connection with recent events. Both individuals are from the Masalit ethnic group.


The National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) arrested the mayor of Abu Zar IDP Camp, Daud Arba Ibrahim, along with his son Dafallah Daud and Abakr Ahmed Saeed from the mayor’s home.

NISS forces arrived at 19:10 in three vehicles and raided the mayor’s house without a warrant. The three men mentioned above were then arrested and taken to an unknown location. The mayor and Abakr Agmed Saeed had previously been called into questioning a few days prior regarding the recent incidents concerning Mouli.

Those arrested are named as:

  1. Daud Arbab Ibrahim – 52 – Mayor of Abu Zar IDP Camp – Masalit
  2. Dafallah Daud – 32 – Son of the mayor – Masalit
  3. Abakr Ahmed Saeeda – 43 – Sheikh of Abu Zar IDP Camp


Members of the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) looted livestock from Um-Dalba and Um-Tajok villages, inhabited largely by those from the Gemer and Masalit ethnic groups. The villages and the RSF unit in question are situated in the locality of Kereinik, situated 50km east of El-Geneina.

Following this incident a group of Gemer traced the perpetrators until they came across a village largely populated by Arabs containing their stolen livestock. The group then killed a member of the village in retribution and retrieved their livestock.

Upon their return, five community leaders from the Gemer wished to repair relations and went to pay their condolences in addition to negotiating with the deceased person’s family.  The community leaders and the family decided upon the payment of blood money totalling SDG 1000 to be paid within ten days.

The following day the RSF attacked five villages in Kereinik including Um-Dalba and Um-Tajok – both involved in the previous days incident – in addition to Um-Kados, Um-Sayal and Um-Shalaya. Each village was partially burned and looted including some 15 shops in the markets of Um-Dalba and Um-Tajok.

Figure 1: Civilian received two stab wounds to his abdomen whilst defending against an attempt to loot his livestock

Eyewitness reports state the RSF contained some 70 individuals arriving in four vehicles and on roughly 14 horses, heavily armed with AK 47’s, G3’s and 12.7mm machine guns. The RSF contained members dressed in both military uniform and in civilian clothing.

Following the attack the incident was reported to the police for the victims to file a case against the perpetrators. The police refused to do so stating that they did not have the authorisation to file criminal cases against the RSF. Tensions remain high.


A force consisting of members from the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS), aided by students aligned with the ruling National Congress Party (NCP) attacked a political forum that was attended by the United People’s Front (UPF), a student political organisation that is connected with the Sudan Liberation Army – Abdul Wahid (SLA-AW) faction.

At 13:30, some 45 persons arrived at the venue on four NISS vehicles, dressed in civilian clothing armed with pistols and metal bars. Soon after the 45 strong force raided the political forum and began to beat the UPF students that were in attendance, whilst members from NISS proceeded to arrest 17 of the UPF attendees.

Shortly after their arrest one of the students, Salah Gamar Ibrahim, was subjected to unspecified acts of torture by NISS forces and was dumped in a critical state at 22:00 outside the home of his family. Salah Gamar Ibrahim’s family immediately took him to hospital where on the second day a doctor issued a medical referral to Khartoum for further treatment. However, NISS rejected the hospital’s permission for the victim to travel, and he died that same day.

After the death of Salah Gamar Ibrahim, NISS forces released the five females of the 17 students that had been arrested, and transferred the remaining 12 males to the police to face charges under articles 67 (“Rioting”), 77 (“Public Nuisance”), and 97 (“Furnishing False Information”) of the 1991 Sudanese Criminal Law Act. Those that are found guilty of the charges will face either a fine or imprisonment, or indeed both in some occasions, whilst those guilty of rioting could also face up to 20 lashes.

The remaining 12 students were released on bail on the 3rd February.

The names of those arrested are as follows:

  1. Osman Salih Idriss – 25
  2. Al-Fadl Habib Yousif – 24
  3. Abdulmouneim Habib Tibin – 21
  4. Modathir Osman Abdulrahim – 23
  5. Madiha Ibrahim Abakar – 19
  6. Samia Abdelkhair – 23
  7. Wathba Hassan Adam – 24
  8. Abdullah Atif Hassan – 23
  9. Nasreldin Mohamed Atim – 23
  10. Al-Amin Adam Yousif – 23
  11. Abu Khairaat Abdulmawla – 26
  12. Abubakar Adam Abdullah – 24
  13. Horria Abdulmuti Mohamed – 24
  14. Jada Ishaq Atim – 23
  15. Abdulrahim Ibrahim Rahma – 25
  16. Salah Gamar Ibrahim – 25 – Killed after torture

The Humanitarian Situation in Al-Ghabat and Abu Zar IDP Camps

Eyewitnesses state that an estimated 5,000 civilians have fled from Mouli, Allah Marka and Atieh areas and are accommodated in either Abu Zar or Al-Ghabat IDP Camps, or they have taken up accommodation with families and friends within Geneina, whilst others have fled to Chad.

Others state that there are many still within Mouli and Atieh, unable to walk the distance from the villages to areas of relative safety.

Blue Nile


The Sudanese Air Force dropped 15 barrel bombs from an Antonov plane on the villages of Alliya’ and Bankrok in El Kurmuk locality killing five civilians and wounding 13, along with killing 40 head of cattle.


Five members of Military Intelligence dressed in civilian clothing arrested Salih Ma’mur, a 48 year-old teacher from the Nuba ethnic group, from his home in Roseires. He has since been transferred to the military garrison in Demazin where he is being held in container without an explanation for his arrest.


Military Intelligence arrested 45 year-old Abu’l-Gasim Nurein in Demazin market. Monitors state that Abu’l-Gasim Nurein was taken by private vehicle to the Demazin military garrison where he has since been placed within a container where he has been denied access to a lawyer or to his family.


Military Intelligence forces arrested 60 year-old Ahmed Mohamed Amin who resides in eastern Roseires. He is being held inside a container within the Sudanese Armed Forces garrison in Demazin.

Ahmed Mohamed Amin was arrested under the pretext that he criticised the surrender of Mohamed Younis, a leading SPLM-N Blue Nile sector leader, to the Sudanese Armed Forces


A combined force involving members from Military Intelligence and the National Intelligence and Security Services forcible displaced civilians from Ardek village situated in Bao locality.

Civilians were forcibly displaced under the pretext that they were working alongside the SPLM-N. The population of Ardek village is estimated to be at around 2,500, and is mostly populated by individuals from the Ingessena and Rareik ethnic groups.


The Sudanese Air Force dropped 10 barrel bombs utilising an Antonov place on the villages of Malka, Olu and Rume, situated in Bao locality causing the destruction of farms and the killing of livestock (six cattle and 16 sheep).

Accounts from Individuals Detained in Containers

In December 2015, SUDO (UK) monitors reported the release of 150 civilians who had been detained in containers within the Sudanese Armed Forces military garrison in Demazin. Since their release monitors have obtained personal testimony from some of those detained:

“The conditions of detention were terrible. Groups of Military Intelligence would torture us by beating us with leather straps or rubber hoses or burning our skins and threatening to rape us.  They would put us in solitary confinement in a small cell or detain us for three days in toxic containers which brought haemorrhages from the testes and gave us sores all over our bodies. Our health deteriorated from lack of health care and medicine and some of the detainees suffered from diabetes, malaria and infectious diseases.  We suffered from malnourishment because we were given so little food; just one meal a day of asida and lentils. They wouldn’t allow us to bath or wash our clothes so our bodies became full of skin diseases and body lice.”

“During my detention they beat me many times with leather whips and they tied me to the bed in the torture room.” – Monitors observed that this individual had swelling all over his back and hands because of being tied down and beaten. 

“During this period Military Intelligence tortured me by burning me with fire, that is they would heat iron in the fire and put it on my body, or they would burn plastic and put it on my body so that now I am covered with open wounds.”

The number of those still detained in containers has been estimated by those who have been released as anywhere between 50 and 85, whilst SUDO (UK) monitors have reported another three civilians that have been arrested and taken to the Sudanese Armed Forces military garrison in Demazin.

In October SUDO (UK) monitors reported the death of Tarig Ali during his detention in the containers, whilst in November Alitaa Younis was hospitalised as a result of the conditions faced by those in detention.

Monitors have regularly reported that detainees are denied access to their families and to lawyers, in addition to basic healthcare and sanitation. The testimonies gathered; however, not only showcase the above, but further the acts of torture that they and others underwent at the hands of Military Intelligence.

It is further worth noting that the 150 or so detainees released in December were never formally charged nor were they brought before a prosecutor.

South Kordofan


Units belonging to the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) entered the borders of South Kordofan on the 2nd January, before arriving to El-Abassiya the following day on the 3rd January. Their arrival has caused major distress to civilians and has led to a drastic spike in crime and attacks on civilians. Consequently, civilians have restricted their own movements past 17:00 for fear of the undisciplined RSF militias.

Monitors further state that the militias in question failed to respond to orders from local government officials or indeed Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) commanders. Instead, several sources indicate that the militias have overtly stated that they receive their orders from Ali Osman Mohamed Taha.  

Disagreements between the SAF and the RSF led to a clash between the two forces in Karngo, a district located in west Abassiya in an area sheltering displaced people who had fled the fighting in west South Kordofan. Four members of the Rapid Support Forces were subsequently killed in the firefight.

The militias present are reported as the same as those that caused riots in other areas including Abu Zabad, El-Obeid, and Kadugli last year prior to their expulsion by the Government.  

Some of the crimes committed by RSF forces in El-Abassiya are documented below:


Members from the Rapid Support Forces shot and killed a civil servant by the name of Mohamed Bahr in Abu Karshola.


Sudanese Armed Forces conducted a training exercise in north Kadugli, whereupon they tested a number of new weaponry on an area used by civilians to collect firewood, as well as for farming and livestock. The training exercise occurred without previous warning resulting in widespread panic amongst a civilian population already traumatised from long lasting conflict.

SUDO (UK) documented a similar exercise conducted on the 28th October 2015.

West Kordofan


Sudanese Armed Forces arrested Hamid Mohamed Ibrahim, a pastoralist, after accusing him of buying a weapon from a Sudanese soldier formerly stationed in Abyei.

Hamid Mohamed Ibrahim was taken to Abuagalah Camp where he was then transferred to the military garrison stationed in Babanusa military base. Hamid Mohamed Ibrahim has been denied access to his family, who have travelled to the base to demand access and to reiterate his innocence in the face of the charges levelled against him.



Forces from the National Intelligence and Security Services arrested Abubakar al-Tahir, 50, Sayed Sabig Isamil, 43, and Issam Ibrahim, 56.

Abubakar al-Tahir, a registrar in the Faculty of Economics at Kassala University and former SPLM member, was arrested inside Kassala University by four members from the security services. Following his arrest he was driven to the city’s security services offices where he was forced to provide the password for his mobile phone, which had been confiscated earlier. Abubakar al-Tahir was accused of spying for the Communist Party and for distributing its statements to students. Though the investigation ended at 12:00, he was forced to stand in the office until 00:00, when was then released

Sayed Sabig Ismail, an independent merchant in Kassala market, was arrested in his shop in the market at 10:00. He was then taken to the security services offices where he was questioned on his relationship with the other two detainees. Sayed Sabig Ismail was released later that day at 22:30.

Issam Ibrahim, an employee at the Agricultural Bank of Kassala and a member of the Communist Party’s leadership, was arrested from his workplace by three NISS officers in civilian clothes. He was then questioned about a statement issued by his party on the previous day (18th January), during which he was subjected to insults and threats and forced to stand for 14 hours from 11:00 until 01:00 before being released on the 20th January.

None of the three detainees were placed into a cell; their punishment was enforced standing for a long period. 



On this date around 20 small shops, known locally as tabilah and two cafes were removed without notice or prior warning on the orders of the Al-Qadarif Municipality. The owners were surprised by the removal of their shops under the pretext that the local officials sought to “beautify” the city. It is important to note that the shops destroyed were the only source of livelihood for their owners and their families.

It is further worth mentioning that a number of small shops were destroyed previously on the 21st May, 2015. At the time the Government promised compensation; however, as of yet the owners have received nothing.

Red Sea


The Governor of Red Sea State summoned the Higher Committee for the 29th January, 2005 Beja Martyrs’ Memorial and told them of the decision of the Khartoum authorities to prevent the establishment of any memorial. The Governor further stated that he was not responsible for this decision and that they should deal directly with the authorities in Khartoum should they wish to complain.

NB: On the 29th January, 2005 at least 20 people were killed in clashes according to Amnesty International following a demonstration in Port Sudan that was met by Government forces utilising live ammunition.


Members of the Higher Committee for the 29th January, 2005 Beja Martyrs’ Memorial called for a memorial ceremony on the streets of Port Sudan. Consequently they were stopped and briefly detained by the National Intelligence and Security Services before being released.

The names of those detained are as follows:

  1. Hamid Wad Ali Sheikh;
  2. Mahmoud Ali Hassan;
  3. Mohamed Dein Imani;
  4. Sidi Hashim;
  5. Taher Babikir.

Northern State


On this day the Nubian Commission against Dal Dam (NCADD) organised a popular protest consisting of some 1,500 to 2,000 participants from the villages of Al-Sacot against the construction of Dams in Nubian areas.

During the protests, the National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS) arrested six activists and charged them with articles relating to rioting and disturbing the public peace. The names of those arrested are below:

  1. Adel Abulaziz Al-Masry – President of the NCADD
  2. Nizar Yousif Sapon – Secretary of External Relations of the NCADD
  3. Kamal Ahmed Mukhtar – Deputy Press Secretary of the NCADD
  4. Muawiya Osman Dahab – Director of the Youth Committee of the NCADD
  5. Ahmed Abdel Nabi Saleh – Member of the NCADD
  6. Ayman Fathy Mohamed Osma – Member of the NCADD

[1] Rapid Support Forces (19), Sudanese Armed Forces (6), Sudanese Air Force (12), Military Intelligence (5), NISS (12), Border Guards (2), Local Government (2), Police (1), Central Reserve Police (1), NCP-Student Wing (1).

[2] Using exclusively reports made to SUDO (UK) by its network of monitors.

Incident Tags