Please note: Map markers are approximate and for illustration purposes only.

Human Rights Abuses in Sudan Over the Month of December 2015



During the month of December 2015, SUDO (UK)’s network of human rights monitors verified 66 specific reports of interest concerning the human rights situation across Sudan involving 10 Sudanese states.

SUDO (UK) has assessed that of the 66 reports concerning human rights; the Government of Sudan was responsible for 38 abuses (including Government officials, the Sudanese Air Force, the Border Guards, the Rapid Support Forces, the National Intelligence and Security Services, the Police, Military Intelligence, the Kubjy militia in Blue Nile and the National Congress Party – Student Wing in Kassala state), whilst various militias known collectively as Janjaweed were responsible for 27 human rights abuses. Other perpetrators include the SPLM-N, which were responsible for four abuses, a South Sudanese militia currently resident in West Kordofan perpetrated one such abuse whilst unknown parties accounted for a further five. It is important to stress that multiple actors colluded in various incidents meaning that often two perpetrators would be identified in any one incident report. Most notably such collusion existed between various Government actors and indeed amongst Government actors and militias.

The 66 incident reports detail the following: the death of 44 civilians, the rape of 19 women (four minors); direct attacks against 39 civilian villages of which nine were destroyed; the serious injury of 61 civilians; five explicit incidents of displacement including no less than an estimated 12,000 civilians; the arrest of 19 persons; the abduction of 24 civilians; and 11 incidents of aerial bombardment utilising no less than 63 bombs. It is further worth noting that 31 attacks involved either the looting of livestock or the destruction of farmland, and moreover that the Government of Sudan explicitly denied access of newly displaced persons to Tabit IDP Camp on five separate occasions

Additionally, within the following reports monitors have also raised the issue of child homelessness in Khartoum, the deteriorating humanitarian condition of IDPs in Mershang locality in South Darfur, as well as the corruption and violence that undermined the student elections at Kassala University.

Serious Incidents and Trends Observed Over the Month of December

Repeated denial of assistance for displaced persons seeking refuge in Tabit IDP Camp

Monitors highlighted on five separate occasions the denial of entry for displaced persons who sought refuge in Tabit IDP Camp following attacks on their homes. On each of these five known occasions where access was denied, civilians were forced to camp in open areas outside of Tabit devoid of shelter, food, water, clothing and medicines.

The first reported situations occurred on the 3rd and the 7th December respectively. At this time monitors suggested that access may have been denied for civilians fleeing aerial bombardments as a result of the imminent arrival of Ahmed bin Abdullah Al Mahmoud, the Deputy Prime-Minister of Qatar, the First Vice-President Bakri Hassan Saleh, and Tijani Sese, the Chairman of the Darfur Regional Authority, to Tabit (Radio Dabanga). However, following three further denials of access to displaced persons on the 10th, 12th, and 21st respectively, it can be inferred that the denials of access may be the direct result and implementation of the will of the Government of Sudan to close IDP camps throughout Darfur as recently stated by Sudanese Vice-President Hassabo Abdel-Rahman (Sudan Tribune).

Such a view would be supported by reports of civilians displaced on the 21st December who state that they were met upon entry to Tabit by the local Governor, the Security Committee, and the Commander of the Armed Forces in the Tabit area, and were ordered to return to their homes, even after being attacked three times in as many weeks, as the Government had no further desire to entertain displaced persons.

It is worth noting at this time that monitors identified the death of three children aged between two and three from exposure to the cold weather and to malnutrition following their denied access to humanitarian services.

Government reallocation of land of displaced persons

In a paradoxical manner, whilst the previous report references the desire of the Government of Sudan to close IDP camps in Darfur and for civilians to return to their homes, this report comments on Government reallocation of such land from the displaced persons for new settlers to the area. On the 5th December, monitors reported an incident that serves as a microcosm of this policy and its resulting effects on displaced persons. On this date a displaced tribal leader tending to his farm was approached by a community leader who represented a group that had recently been settled into the area by the Government of Sudan following the former’s displacement. Ahmed al-Hajj Hassan, the tribal leader in question, was told that whilst he and his community would be allowed to tend to their fields for the coming season, they would not be able to continue to do so the following season as they no longer held ownership of the land.

Despite complaining to the Commissioner of Beleil locality, the decision was upheld.

Ahmed al-Hajj Hassan and his community were displaced from their homes situated in Omgonga area located 25km south of Nyala following conflict.

The issue of land ownership is an important factor in the many overlapping conflicts that plague Darfur. Government reallocation of land has only worked to exacerbate this situation and works – with other factors including notably security – to prevent those displaced from conflict from resuming their lives and taking up residence in their old homes.

Release of Blue Nile Detainees

SUDO (UK) monitors reported this month that 150 detainees have been released this month from their detention in containers situated within the Sudanese Fourth Division Army Headquarters in Demazin.

For the past five months SUDO (UK) monitors have reported on the detention of Blue Nile civilians in containers situated within the Sudanese Armed Forces Headquarters in Demazin. The detainees in question had been denied access to families, lawyers, and even to basic healthcare and sanitation. Consequently monitors had previously recorded the death of Tarig Ali in October and the hospitalisation of Alitaa Younis in November as a direct consequence of the conditions of their illegal detention.

Incident Reports

North Darfur


Between these dates a Janjaweed militia led by Commander Ali Al-Hello attacked civilians between Fanga and south Fanga areas through to Tabit in East Jebel Marra with support from the Sudanese Air Force.

Eyewitness testimonies state that ground forces arrived in the area on 25 technical vehicles, accompanied by militiamen on some 350 camels and 100 horses. These ground troops were granted aerial support from three MiGs, two helicopters and one Antonov. The attacking forces were dressed in formal military uniform equipped with an array of light and heavy weaponry.

Aerial bombardments began on the 28th November as the Sudanese Air Force dropped no less than 12 bombs on the area between Fanga and Tabit. Further aerial bombardment was noted on the 1st December when nine bombs fell upon the area around South Fanga killing a large number of livestock, destroying large tracts of farmland, and forcing the displacement of a large number of civilians.

Aerial bombardments were accompanied by ground attacks on civilian infrastructure by the Janjaweed militia. In one situation forces raped a 17 year-old girl in Koto, situated some 16km south west of Tabit. Following which they forcibly entered their livestock onto farms opening fire on civilians and in the air in order to create panic. Sudanese Armed Forces garrisoned around Tabit responded to the fire eventually driving away the militias. Three persons were injured during the entire incident. Their names were recorded as:

  1. Ahmed Adam – 33 – Tama ethnic group
  2. Adam Jacob – 46 – Tunjur ethnic group
  3. Salag El-Din Ahmed Shogar – 42 – Tunjur ethnic group


Further seeming collusion between the Sudanese Air Force and various Janjaweed militias occurred on this date as militias attacked Dawa village in East Jebel Marra situated some 5km west of Tabit.

The Sudanese Air Force set the grounding of the attack by indiscriminately bombarding areas to the south east of Jebel Marra. Antonov transport planes dropped four bombs on the area burning large tracts of farmland.

The aerial bombardments were swiftly followed by the attack of a Janjaweed militia, riding on the back of camels, on Dawa village killing three civilians and injuring one. The injured man has been identified as Adam Ishag Al-Doory. The three men killed have been named as:

  1. Ahmed Adam Salah Al-Din
  2. Mohamed Shogar
  3. Adam Mohamed El-Toum

02/12/15 - 04/12/15

A Janjaweed militia attacked a number of villages destroying nine in total in the area north of Kutum over a three day period. They were aided in their assault by members of the Border Guards - a Sudanese para-military outfit directly supported by the Government of Sudan.

Dressed in military uniform, the militia first attacked the villages of Noreen, Al-Bakhit and Abboud from the direction of Goba, located 25km south west of Kutum. The force arrived on 24 technical vehicles, accompanied by militiamen riding some 150 camels and 75 horses. Following the destruction of the three villages the militia turned north heading toward Jumat Allah water well, Malam Al-Hoosh, and Donkey and Anka Bredek areas. The villages attacked are predominantly settled by individuals from the Zaghawa ethnic group.

An eyewitness from the attack on Noreen stated that the militia arrived to the village at 11.00, opening fire on anything and anyone that moved thereby forcing residents to flee their homes. After the initial attack the militia began looting the village before setting it on fire and continuing their advance to Al-Bakhit village and then to Abboud where they repeated their actions.

During the attack on the first three villages SUDO (UK) monitors have verified the following civilian casualties and abductions:


Five persons were kidnapped, all of which belong to the Zaghawa ethnic group:

  1. Refee Daw Al-Nor – Aged 9
  2. Mansour Adam Dosh – Aged 12
  3. Mohamed Adam Dasho – Aged 25
  4. Nazir Matic Adam – Aged 27
  5. Adam Suliman Dasho – Aged 30


  1. Abboud Suleiman Awad – Aged 48 – Killed (Father)
  2. Bakhit Abboud Suleiman Awad – Aged 5 – Abducted (Son)   

The following day the militia reached Malam Al-Hoosh and continued their offensive by attacking areas to the east and south leading to the death of three civilians, the injury of seven, and the looting and destruction of six villages. Monitors further recorded another six villages that were attacked by the same militia in the same offensive; however, they were not destroyed.

The names of those killed are:

  1. Adam Ali Haab Allah – 35 – Zaghawa
  2. Juma Ibrahim Qardia – 37 – Zaghawa
  3. Anwar Ahmed Adam – 29 – Zaghawa

The names of those injured are:

  1. Mansour Kahmis Dabo – 41 – Zaghawa
  2. Ismail Hamed Ali – 33 – Zaghawa
  3. Ali Salman Kusa – 36 – Zaghawa
  4. Hamadoun Ali Jaafar – 27 – Zaghawa
  5. Ahamdai Khareef Bashar – 61 – Zaghawa
  6. Tuka Ibrahim Ahmed – 41 - Unspecified
  7. Diar Ali Bilal – 36 – Zaghawa

Villages destroyed:

  1. Noreen
  2. Al-Bakhit
  3. Abboud
  4. Aoonju
  5. Ammar Jadeed
  6. Abubakar
  7. Malik Abu Umo
  8. Adam Khater
  9. Mahmoud Suit

Villages attacked:

  1. Tayaar
  2. Ahamdai Khareef
  3. Amraiy
  4. Salman Awad
  5. Abakar
  6. Ibrahim

In addition to the civilian casualties and abductions some 18,547 livestock were looted including sheep, goats, camels and cattle.

The offensive has been reported to the local authorities in Kutum as well as to UNAMID directly; however, monitors state that no action has been taken.


A Janjaweed militia, dressed in military uniform with their faces masked by Al-Kamadol, attacked seven villages in the East Jebel Marra region 15km south west of Tabit. The attacks saw Koto village attacked for the second time in almost as many days.

During the attacks the militia assaulted the local population killing one civilian, abducting eight, raping three women (two Fur and one Tunjur) and displacing some 5,000 people. Eyewitnesses state that the militia attacked the villages on some 200 camels, 120 horses and three technical vehicles, and were accompanied by a large number of cattle which they promptly released onto civilian farmland.

The civilian killed has been identified as Yossif Haron Adam Yahya, a 41 year-old Fur resident of Dali village.

The following were abducted during the attacks:

  1. Yousif Saleh Omer – 42 – Fur – Dali village
  2. Adam Yahya Omer – 33 – Fur – Dali village
  3. Omar Saeed Ishaq – 22 – Fur – Dali village
  4. Zakaria Ahmed Ibrahim – 50 – Fur – Koto village
  5. Qamardeen Haron Saleh – 40 – Fur – Koto village
  6. Haron Saleh Ismail – 48 – Unspecified – Koto village
  7. Haron Saleh Abakar – 39 – Fur – Koto village
  8. Aisga Hamid Youssef – 35 – Unspecified – Bele village

The villages attacked have been named as:

  1. Dali
  2. Koto
  3. Hashabah
  4. Um Traeter
  5. Hilat Homaro
  6. Hilat Ahmed
  7. Namrah

Following the attacks 5,000 were displaced towards Tabit and Shangel Tobayi. Those who fled to Tabit were denied entry by the local authorities and were consequently left without access to basic services. This led to the death of three children from the severity of the cold and from malnutrition. They have been named as:

  1. Mukhtar Adam Yousif – 3 – Fur – Koto village
  2. Karim Awad Adam – 2 – Unspecified - Unspecified
  3. Yahya Eisa Salah – 3 – Unspecified – Hashabah village


A Janjaweed militia numbering some 350 persons, supported by a Border Guard force led by Mohamed Ali and Mohamed Wali utilising 23 technical vehicles, killed eight civilians and injured seven in an attack on the villages of Wad Ali and Wad Ibrahim in North Jebel Marra.

Following the attack on the two villages the militia then moved to destroy civilian infrastructure in the surrounding area including large tracts of farmland. The militia further looted roughly 14,000 animals including sheep, cows and camels.


A Janjaweed militia, supported by the Border Guards, attacked villages 3km east of Tabit destroying farms, looting cattle and shops, and beating civilians.

During the attack two women were raped, including one minor. The victims, aged 15 and 22, were raped multiple times from 11.00 through to 14.30 before the aggressors released them.

The victims were subsequently taken to the police where a case was filed against unknown perpetrators before they allowed to receive treatment at Tabit hospital. During this time the Commissioner of the locality was present and he was consequently informed of the situation and the whereabouts of the perpetrators. No action was taken despite the information presented.  


A Janjaweed militia abducted Ismail Ahmed Youssif, a civilian from Nimra, after he left his home to collect firewood. The victim has been taken to an unknown destination.


Sudanese Air Forces bombarded the villages of Masalit, Nimra and Dajo, located to the east of Jebel Marra. These bombardments have forced the displacement of the inhabitants of the aforementioned villages. The displaced fled towards the IDP Camp situated in Tabit in order to seek shelter.

However, when they approached Tabit they were denied entry by security personnel who were readying for the arrival of the First Vice-President of Sudan, the Deputy Prime-Minister of Qatar, and the Chairman of the Darfur Regional Authority Tijani Sese. The displaced were taken 1km outside of Tabit where they were kept in an open area devoid of shelter, food and water.


Following the departure of the First Vice-President, the Deputy Prime-Minister of Qatar, and Tijani Sese, the Sudanese Air Force bombed a water well in Karfula, which is located 4km from Tabit. An Antonov transport plane dropped four bombs resulting in the destruction of the well, the death of a large number of cattle, and the destruction of large areas of farmland.


Six members of a Janjaweed militia under the command of Badr Abu Keneish, stationed in the mountains of Tarna, attacked an IDP whilst he was collecting firewood in Tarna district located 20km west of Tabit.

The militia, dressed in military uniform, sought to kidnap the civilian but shot him twice following his resistance and left him on the side of the road with life-threatening injuries. Fortunately the IDP was found by members of his family and was taken for treatment. The police were notified of the incident.


Rapid Support Forces, allied with a Janjaweed militia, attacked the village of Fakareen, situated 4km south east of Tabit.

The combined attacking force arrived on camels and horses, and were accompanied with 25 vehicles. Upon entry into the village they began beating the civilians with sticks and whips, looting civilians homes, and destroying neighbouring tracts of farmland. During the attack one civilian was killed by gunfire and a 14-year-old girl was raped multiple times.

Following the attack civilians fled to Tabit, whereupon they were held outside the camp again devoid of access to shelter, food, water, clothing and medicinal treatment. The attack by the combined force occurred in front of watching police who proceeded to file the incident against unknown perpetrators, notably as the Rapid Support Forces and pro-government militias are afforded impunity for their actions.

The civilian killed has been named as Abbas Ibrahim.


Members of a Janjaweed militia forcibly entered some 400 camels onto farms situated in Taradona village in East Jebel Marra. The 10 militia members were dressed in military uniform with their faces masked by al-Kamadol.

During the forceful entry of their livestock the militia killed a local civilian by the name of Ismail Adam Al-Hafi who was found dead in his farm having been shot three times.


Members of a Janjaweed militia raped two women in their farms situated in Abu Zaid Agricultural Scheme in East Jebel Marra. The two victims were raped by multiple perpetrators and were eventually found by their families in an open area near Tabit with life threatening injuries.


Bombardments by the Sudanese Air Force killed one child and destroyed large tracts of farmland in the Dobo Al-Omda area situated in East Jebel Marra. During the attack more than eight bombs were indiscriminately dropped by an Antonov transport plane.


The Sudanese Air Force continued to bombard areas between Dobo Al-Omda and Aradeb Al-Ashara. On this day they dropped a further 15 bombs which destroyed large tracts of farmland.


A Janjaweed militia attacked civilians in the villages of Karfula (bombed previously on the 8th), Dali (attacked previously on the 3rd) and Kikro situated in East Jebel Marra.

The militia looted civilian properties before burning them forcing the displacement of approximately 7,000 persons who fled towards Tabit. The displaced persons were stopped 1km outside of Tabit by security personnel and forced to remain in the open therefore suffering from the cold without access to shelter, food, water or medicine.


Six members of a Janjaweed militia forcibly entered their camels onto civilian farms situated in Attma village, located east of Tabit.

During the attack one civilian was killed and two women were raped multiple times throughout a two-hour period.

When locals heard about the attack they went to their farms; however, by the time they arrived the attackers had fled. The locals then took the deceased to the police to report the crime and the two girls to the hospital for treatment.

The deceased has been named as Fazul Abdullah Isaac.


At approximately 08:00 six members of a Janjaweed militia, dressed in military uniform, attacked Fadol Abdel Mola Isaac. The perpetrators killed the victim, a 33 year-old Zaghawa from Umm Arda, and looted his livestock consisting of 45 cows and 26 sheep.


Sudanese Air Forces dropped 12 bombs utilising Antonov transport planes in the eastern Fanga area over a four-hour period killing a large number of livestock and destroying vast tracts of farmland.


An unknown militia abducted two IDPs from Korma IDP Camp demanding SDG 30,000 for their release. The 10 militiamen arrived on a technical vehicle dressed in military uniform from the direction of west Korma Umo Mountains and kidnapped the two IDPs before fleeing towards Damrh Umo. The incident has been reported to UNAMID in Korma who have reportedly taken no action.

The two IDPs are named as:

  1. Abdullah Ibrahim Mohamed Fadl – 40 – Masalit
  2. Abdel Razek Ahmed Nour – 30 - Tunjur


Militiamen from an unknown group numbering some 25 persons attacked 14 women and girls, two of whom were subsequently raped.

The militiamen, dressed in military uniform, attacked the group of 14 as they left their homes in Tabit to fetch firewood. Upon sight the militiamen began to beat them before selecting two for the purposes of rape.

The perpetrators eventually led the group of 14 back to the army garrison in Tabit, who failed to act in order to protect the girls or to apprehend the perpetrators.


Members of a Janjaweed militia forcibly entered some 300 camels onto the farms of civilians situated in Kenjarht Borma area.

During the attack the perpetrators raped two women multiple times over a time spanning four hours. Following which they destroyed the victims’ farm and left.


Three members of a Janjaweed militia attacked and raped a 14 year-old girl in her farm close to Koshna village, situated 3km outside of Tabit.

The victim was found in an open area by farmers and taken for treatment. The incident has been reported to the police.


A Janjaweed militia under the command of Ahmed Al-Gali attacked Faree Shalekh village and forced a large number of their livestock onto the farms of local civilians. During the incident one person was killed and seven were injured.

Eyewitness reports state that at 11:00, militiamen numbering 10 persons, dressed in military uniform, forced their livestock onto the farmers’ fields. When the farmers tried to prevent their livestock from entering their farms the militia members fired upon the farmers.

Following the initial attack Government forces arrived in three vehicles to evacuate the wounded for treatment and to pursue the perpetrators. When the Government troops came across the militia and their leader the latter refused to hand over the perpetrators and threatened to retaliate if provoked.

Abubakr Mohamedain Adam, a 49 year-old Tunjur was confirmed dead on the scene whilst the following seven were injured:

  1. Abdullah Abakar Yahya – 25 – Tunjur
  2. Ahmed Mahmoud Abdul Rahman – 38 – Tunjur
  3. Mohamed Adam Ali – 40 – Tunjur
  4. Ammar Mohamed Ahmed Jacob – 35 – Tunjur
  5. Sulaiman Abakar Abdullah – 42 – Tunjur
  6. El Noor Abdulrahman Suleiman – 30 – Tunjur
  7. Zakaria Yusuf Mohamed – 35 - Tunjur


Four Janjaweed militiamen who form part of a militia under the overall command of El-Nour Gobbah raped a woman multiple times near Kassab IDP camp situated in Kutum.

The four militiamen arrived at the scene of the incident wearing military uniform on the back of camels where they began to assault four women. Three of the women were beaten before escaping the perpetrators; however, the final woman was unable to flee and was ultimately raped alternately by the aggressors.


A Janjaweed militia attacked Dali village (attacked three times in December – 3rd, 12th and 21st) at 18:00 from the southern and western directions resulting in the death of one civilian and the abduction of two, in addition to widespread looting, destruction of civilian property and the displacement of a large number of residents.

The militia, dressed in military uniform, attacked the village aboard six technical vehicles with mounted Doshka machine guns in addition to more than 100 camels and 60 horses. Upon entry to the village they fired indiscriminately in the direction of civilian houses leading to the death of one man. The militia then abducted two civilians before looting properties and setting fire to much of the village. The eyewitness stated that upon fleeing to Tabit they were met by the local Governor, the Security Committee, and the Commander of the Armed Forces in the Tabit area, all of which informed the displaced persons that they must return to their villages as the Government does not wish to entertain further displaced persons.

The deceased has been identified as 32 year-old Hamza Suliman Ahmed, a member of the Fur ethnic group.

The two civilians abducted have been named as:

  1. Ismail Adam Ismail – 34 – Fur
  2. Yusuf Ahmed Adam – 37 – Fur


Six Janjaweed militia members attacked an 18 year-old girl from Taradona who had gone to the outskirts of the village in order to collect feed for the livestock. The perpetrators raped the 18 year-old for five hours before leaving her severely injured on the ground. The victim was found by a local farmer and taken to Tabit hospital for treatment. The police merely opened a report but took no effort to follow up on the case.


A Janjaweed militia under the command of Ahmed al-Gali attacked civilians in the village of Um Jadwal situated 15km north west of Al-Fashir, killing two civilians in the process.

Following the attack the inhabitants of the village took the two deceased civilians to Al-Fashir in protest. They were joined by other civilians’ resident to Al-Fashir in a show of solidarity. The protestors called for the resignation of the North Darfur Governor for failing to provide security for the population of North Darfur.


At approximately 08:00, four members of a Janjaweed militia under the command and control structure of Ahmed al-Gali attacked and killed 25 year-old Ibrahim Yahia Adam at his farm in Ammar Jaded village situated 17km west of Al-Fashir.

The four men approached the farm riding on the back of camels dressed in military uniform and demanded that the victim leave and not return. Upon refusal Ibrahim Yahia Adam was summarily executed.

South Darfur


Monitors updated SUDO (UK) on the condition of IDPs situated in Marshang locality. Their reports stressed the dire situation of those displaced characterised by a lack of health care afforded on the displaced community and the prevalence of malnutrition.

A basic lack of medicine and healthcare ensure that many suffer from diseases such as malaria, whilst other illnesses appear that are currently unknown to the local population and can thus not be diagnosed without expertise. Such unknown diseases are causing the deaths of IDPs on an almost daily basis, including predominantly children. The withdrawal of humanitarian agencies, some of which have been forced by the Government, has led to a health crisis amongst this community and indeed many more. This is an issue that will only be exacerbated by the removal of prominent and experienced organisations such as Tearfund, as announced recently.

Local estimates put the number of IDPs in Marshang locality at 18,000 people.


Displaced tribal leader Ahmed al-Hajj Hassan has been told that neither he nor members of his ethnic group will be allowed to return to their homes next year in order to cultivate their farms.

Ahmed al-Hajj Hassan was at his farm, which is located near Beleil, when he was approached by a leader from a group that had recently been settled in the area by the Government. He was told that he and his group were allowed to farm this year; however, following which they would not be allowed to do so as it was now their land.

Following this incident Ahmed al-Hajj Hassan and other tribal leaders who had held control of the land prior to their displacement went to the Commissioner of the locality to complain but they were refused in their request.

Ahmed al-Hajj Hassan and his ethnic group were displaced from their homes situated in Omgonga area, which is in Beleil locality located 25km south of Nyala following conflict. The Government of Sudan has since appropriated their lands and have given it to another ethnic group of Arab descent.

The issue of land ownership is an important factor in the many overlapping conflicts that plague Darfur. Government reallocation of land has only worked to exacerbate this situation and works – with other factors – to prevent those displaced from the conflict from resuming their lives and taking up residence in their old homes.


Janjaweed forces forcibly entered their camels onto farms situated in the Naira area, which is located south west of Bulbul, leading to the death of 14 persons and the serious injury of many others.

The 20 Janjaweed militiamen opened fire on the farmers as they forced their 500 camels onto the farms of the locals. The farmers returned fire leading to the death of nine of the militiamen and the death of five farmers. The wounded were taken to Nyala Teaching Hospital and to the Turkish Hospital to the south of Nyala.

The Naira area is mostly inhabited with people from the Miseriya ethnic group.


A Janjaweed militia group numbering some 25 persons dressed in military uniform with their faces covered by al-Kamadol forcibly entered their camels onto the farms of civilians from Um Diem village, situated 5km east of Gereida. 

A local civilian by the name of Ibrahim Izzo Mohamed was shot dead by the militia as they forced approximately 600 camels onto tracts of farmland.

The incident was reported to the police who simply filed the case against an unknown.

Central Darfur


A nomad militia opened fire on a special committee formed by the local authorities injuring two individuals in Kabum area, which is situated south of Bindisi.

The committee was formed to investigate tensions between nomads and farmers in the aforementioned area following the forced imposition of livestock under the control of the nomads onto tracts of farmland worked by local civilians.

Initially the committee was tasked with assessing the cost of damages inflicted upon the crop; however, when they arrived the nomads were still present. Consequently the committee members asked the nomads to withdraw their livestock, following which the nomads opened fire causing serious injury to two committee members.

The injured members are named as:

  1. Ali Abdul Rahman Abudllah
  2. Ishag Eisa

West Darfur


Four Janjaweed militia members threatened and severely beat a local merchant by the name of Moussa Haouna Adam, aged 65, in his home situated in Gabila. The victim sustained injuries to his shoulder and to his thigh.

The incident has been reported to the police in Habila.


Three Janjaweed militiamen attacked a 55 year-old named as Arbab from Noeing situated west of Habilla for refusing to allow entry of the militia’s livestock onto his farm.

Arbab sustained injuries to his head and the incident has been reported to the police, who have since taken no action.


Four Janjaweed militiamen abducted Mohamed Matar Ahmed, a 35 year-old resident from Al-Salam neighbourhood in Khor Barango locality, and took him to an unknown destination. The kidnappers have since contacted the victim’s family and have demanded a ransom of SDG 30,000.


Police and National Intelligence and Security Services used excessive force against protestors in El-Geneina leading to the known injury of five students.

Peaceful demonstrations were called following the forced closure of bakeries owing to a recent decree preventing the use of firewood and charcoal, in addition to a distinct lack of gas available to businesses. Consequently, the local population have been unable to purchase bread – a cheap and important means of sustenance.

The security services broke up the peaceful demonstration through the use of excessive force by utilising live ammunition, teargas, and assaulting protestors. Consequently, five known students have received gunshot wounds.

They have been named as:

  1. Marwan Ismail Fadl – 17 – Student
  2. Mohamed Hamid Hussein – 19 – Student
  3. Hassan Mohamed Hassan Abdullah – 17 – Student
  4. Omran Ismail Fadl – 18 – Student
  5. Jafar Abakr Abdullah – 18 - Student

Blue Nile


Military Intelligence forces situated in Demazin arrested Mohamed Ken Al-Ziaab, a 34-year-old member of the Ingessana ethnic group, for suspicion of belonging to the SPLM-N.

They further confiscated the motorcycle of the Abu Gern resident.


Military Intelligence arrested 35-year-old primary school teacher Amal Hassan Ibrahim from Wad Abok village in Bao locality for phoning her husband who is a leader within the SPLM-N forces. Amal Hassan Ibrahim has been transferred to Demazin where she is being held in the Sudanese Fourth Division Army Headquarters.

Amal Hassan Ibrahim’s husband is Siddig Al-Nsi, an SPLM-N leader who was sentenced to death in absentia by Singa Criminal Court situated in Sennar state.


Iman Ibrahim - a child - died following a two week battle against measles and malnutrition as a result of a lack of health facilities afforded on displaced persons.

Iman Ibrahim and her family were one of 17,000 displaced following the Sudanese Armed Forces attack on Khor Magnza as reported by SUDO (UK) in May 2015. Her family fled to Khor Brang, siuated south of Roseris.


Members of the National Intelligence and Security Services killed Mohamed Juma after severely beating him in Yarada area. Mohamed Juma has been detained by security services under the pretext that he was a member of the SPLM-N.


Sudanese Air Forces bombed Yaboos area, located in Kurmuk locality at 14:00 killing a child and seriously injuring two men and one woman.


SPLM-N forces looted 300 livestock in the Torda area situated in the Ingessana Mountains in Bao Locality.


A Sudanese Government militia, locally referred to as Kubjy, looted 200 livestock in the Gaflok area situated in Bao locality.


SUDO (UK) monitors reported that 150 detainees have been released this month from their detention in containers situated within the Sudanese Fourth Division Army Headquarters in Demazin.

For the past five months SUDO (UK) monitors have reported on the detention of Blue Nile civilians in containers situated within the Sudanese Armed Forces Headquarters in Demazin. Detainees had been denied access to families, lawyers, and even basic healthcare and sanitation. Consequently monitors had previously recorded the death of Tarig Ali in October and the hospitalisation of Alitaa Younis in November as a direct consequence of the conditions of their illegal detention.

Each of the detainees had been arrested from Blue Nile state localities including Kurmuk, Bao, Roseris, Demazin, and El-Tadamon.

South Kordofan


SPLM-N soldiers ambushed a group of camel herders on the road between Dilling and Al-Farshayia in Muglad area, situated 10km north of Dilling. Whilst only 5km north of the site, another SPLM-N unit ambushed a car belonging to the Sudanese Armed Forces killing three soldiers before burning their bodies.


Traders are facing mass confiscation of their goods by police situated around the Dilling area as they proceed to the market to sell their wares. Police regularly confiscate up to half of the traders goods to allow them to enter the market forcing traders into poverty.


SPLM-N forces attacked a group of shepherds in the village of Alibdarah killing two and wounding another two, before looting 70 cows. Alibdarah is located roughly 2km south of Abasiya, which has experienced similar attacks throughout the year. Most of the attacks have been targeting members of the Baggara ethnic group; however, in this instance the victims were members of the Tagli ethnic group. Monitors note that this is due to a change in SPLM-N forces in the region, having brought new units in from different areas.

The following were killed:

  1. Said Ali Said – 28 – Tagli
  2. Abdullah Zaki Dawkah – 22 – Tagli

Whilst the following were injured:

  1. Mohamed Ibrahim Mohamed
  2. Abdel Aal Ali Saeed


Armed men, estimated to number 13 persons, both Arabs and Nuba, looted some 70 cattle from herders based in Dilling whilst they were grazing outside the town.


Monitors have reported an increase in conflict between settled farmers and nomads in South Kordofan state. Monitors reported one such instance in farms situated in Kalba near Kadugli this month. The farmers arrived at their fields in Kalba only to be met with a large number of cattle trespassing on their farms, which ruined their produce. As the farmers neared the cattle in order to push them off their land the herders opened fire to which the farmers responded too. The exchange of fire led to the wounding of one herder before the others fled. The farmers then proceeded to capture the cattle and took them to the cowshed before opening a criminal complaint at the local police station.


Monitors note that the optimism that had initially swept across the region over the possibility of an imminent truce resulting from Government and SPLM-N negotiations was quick to change to pessimism following a significant military build-up on the part of the Sudanese Government.

West Kordofan


Forces formerly loyal to Riek Machar in South Sudan are currently camped in the Michael McCall camp situated in the oil rich Heglig area. The forces defected from Riek Machar following the peace agreement he signed with Salva Kiir.

These forces have recently come into conflict with local Sudanese communities with the former accusing the latter of opening fire on their camp wounding one member. Following the wounding of one of their number the South Sudanese militia left their camp aboard six heavily armoured vehicles and entered the local village opening fire and threatening the inhabitants. The militia proceeded to loot the village stealing some SDG 23,000 in cash and gold to the value of SDG 45,000. They further abducted four individuals and took them back to their camp. The abducted civilians were severely beaten and interrogated with the aim of ascertaining the names of those involved in the injuring of one of the militiamen in the camp. As the local population were uninvolved they could not provide the identities of those involved. The civilians were detained for six days before their families arrived to negotiate their release. They were eventually released after a ransom of SDG 25,000 was paid.


A displaced Dinka woman, aged between 45 and 50, from South Sudan was raped by 15 unidentified soldiers dressed in khaki uniform at approximately 01:00.

Earlier in the day the men had attended the victim’s home asking for alcohol. When the victim stated that she did not possess any, they stated they would return at a later date. That very evening the 15 men broke into the victim’s home and proceeded to advance on her 17 year-old daughter. The men turned their attention to the mother as she sought to protect her daughter, beating her before raping her alternately at knife point.



National Intelligence and Security Services detained dozens of refugees expelled by Jordan on re-entry to Khartoum Airport, taking numerous refugees to unknown locations. 


At approximately 12:00, officials from the National Intelligence and Security Services arrested two pastors of Nuba ethnicity, both of who currently reside in Khartoum, and both of who were arrested outside of their homes.

The two pastors arrested were named as:

  1. Hassan Abdulrahim Kodi – 48 – Umbada
  2. Kowa Shamal Inziman – 47 – Bahri

Increase in homelessness and the deterioration of their conditions

Monitors reported on the intense suffering of the homeless population of Khartoum during the cold winter months, particularly concerning the situation of street children.

This month monitors have reported the death of three street children, including one of who was physically handicapped. Little information has been obtained of their backgrounds or situation, though one of who was known to locals in Obeid Khatam Street due to his time spent begging there. Additionally a man in Khartoum North was found dead in his wheelchair as a consequence of the cold weather and exposure. Again little information could be obtained.

Monitors state that there has been a notable increase in homelessness in Khartoum, not stemming solely from the conflicts, but rather additionally as a result of economic and social conditions that has forced the migration of children and their families from the peripheries to the centre where the wealth is concentrated in search of jobs in the informal sector including cleaning shoes and cars or selling water and other commodities in the street. The following are just some examples of the conditions faced by homeless children:

“Hassan”, a child who resides in an abandoned home stated that he, his three sisters and his mother fled from Sinnar State in 2012 owing to their deteriorating economic condition. He stated how he left school to assist his family in helping to keep a roof over their heads and food in their stomachs. He earns anywhere between SDG 40 and 50 a day, all of which is to help provide for his family, which his father abandoned the year before they decided to leave to Khartoum. 

“Omer” and the situation of he and his four friends differs to that of Hassan as the former does not have the benefit of a biological family. Omer and his friends are representative of almost 90% of street children in Khartoum who are without family for one reason or another. “Omer” stated that he does not know the name of his father or his mother, or indeed anyone of his family. He obtains money by shining shoes and by collecting scrap metal. Even then he does not have a specific place that he calls home and simply sleeps anywhere that he feels he will be safe for the night. Children like “Omer” are regularly rounded up by police and detained, and even sometimes taken to court.

Press Freedom

National Intelligence and Security Services closed down Al-Tayar newspaper for an indefinite amount of time and its Chief Editor, Osman Mirghani, was arrested before later being released. The security services provided no reason for this act.

Osman Mirghani has already stated his intention to challenge the security services decision to close the newspaper through the Constitutional Court. It is worth noting that Osman MIrghani was previously the victim of an attack by unknown gunmen on the Al-Tayar offices.

Continued repression for political activists

The month of December witnessed the continual detention and prosecution of a number of political activists:

  1. Rashid Ayash is being tried at the Khartoum Central Criminal Court after being accused of printing posters venerating those that were killed in the protests in September 2013.
  2. Fawaz Osman, Youssif Haroon and Nusseibah Al-Jack, the three Sudanese Congress Party members, continue to face court proceedings at the Criminal Court of Mao for having addressed the general public at Mao Market without prior approval from the authorities.
  3. Imad El Sadig Hamdoun, a political activist and member of the National Umma Party, was arrested by National Intelligence and Security Service members outside of the Umma Party headquarters and taken to an unknown location on the 14th December. His family released a statement noting that their son has been subjected to arbitrary detention and that they held the authorities responsible for his safety. They further stated that the authorities had already refused to provide access to him for clothing and medicine.



National Intelligence and Security Services personnel arrested Musab Jobara for the consumption of alcohol. He was refused bail and remained in custody for two days before being sentenced to be lashed and fined.


Violence perpetuated by student members of the National Congress Party continued to dominate the student elections of the Kassala General Union of University Students.

On this date students were required to submit their list of candidates for the elections, of which student members of the National Congress Party were the first to arrive. When the other student parties attended to do the same the student National Congress Party members prevented them from doing so. Thus declaring themselves victors by acclamation resulting in increased tensions between the various student parties.

At this point the Abu Qatada militia, under the control of the local National Congress Party, intervened beating opposing students with iron bars, sticks, and machetes causing the hospitalisation of four students. Police intervened with tear gas whilst the National Intelligence and Security Services arrested three individuals from the opposition parties. The four students hospitalised required police guard whilst they were in hospital. The injured have been named as:

  1. Mustafa Ali Al-Jabal
  2. Osman El-Tahir Warag
  3. Mustafa Ali Mohamed Ali
  4. Anas Ali

The three students arrested have been named as:

  1. Ali Idriss Youssef
  2. Amin Omar Wida
  3. Mohamed Bashir

In spite of police intervention they failed to arrest any of the perpetrators in addition to failing to open a report on the assault itself.

That same evening three students from the Faculty of Medicine were kidnapped by a white Toyota vehicle that belonged to the Kassala General Union of University Students, controlled by the National Congress Party – Student Wing. The three students were blindfolded, beaten and finally thrown out of the car on the Bashkateb block on the east side of the Qash River.

It is worth noting that student opposition parties staged a sit-in to attempt to recover their rights through a judicial review.

It is further worth noting that the National Congress Party – Student wing achieved victory in the past election through violence and intimidation, and were assisted in doing so by the National Intelligence and Security Services.


The police today led a campaign in Kassala and the surrounding countryside against persons selling alcohol and drugs. Monitors state that the police used excessive force and targeted individuals despite there being no evidence that they were involved. The forces destroyed their homes and terrorised civilians based on suspicion alone.

These attacks featured prominently in Kadugli area to the east of Kassala and in the Wad Sharifi and Qash areas located in rural Kasala.


Civilians in Kassala locality have been faced with further travel restrictions for the new year. The Commission of State Security issued a decree preventing travel unless the civilian obtains agreement from authorities in order to do so.

Large numbers of police have been deployed in Rumaila tourist area south of Kassala and in Khasham Al-Girba on the Atbara River to monitor the enforcement of the decree.


15/12/15 – 20/12/15

Four doctors were detained by security services following protests over their refusal to pay a fee for providing health services.

Al-Hawatah local Government recently decided to demand a municipal fee of SDG 2,000 from doctors working in private clinics in several localities including al-Rayyan, al-Mohla, and al-Rahma. This decision went against local custom in which no fee is demanded in the area due to the situation of the localities in question.

The four doctors were released after several hours after refusing to pay the fees due to the intervention of local civilians. The doctors have been named as:

  1. Dr. Ibrahim Abusin
  2. Dr. Munir Haji Mohamed
  3. Dr. Esmail Al-Silik
  4. Unknown

Incident Tags