Please note: Map markers are approximate and for illustration purposes only.

Human Rights Abuses in Sudan Over the Month of August 2015


SUDO (UK) Situation Updates – August 2015


During the month of August our network of human rights monitors situated throughout Darfur, Blue Nile, and South Kordofan have reported and verified 37 incidents of human rights abuses or cases where the rights of civilians are infringed; 24 of which were committed by largely pro-Government militias, 5 by Government forces or officials, 3 from armed opposition groups, 2 by ethnic militias, 1 by unknown bandits, and 2 as a result of a serious lack of humanitarian aid and intervention.

Of the 37 incidents, SUDO (UK) has recorded the killing of at least 115 people, 21 victims of sexual violence, 56 individuals sustaining injuries, 8 cases of kidnap and abduction, 19 arrests where the individuals in question are detained in an inhumane manner – in this case containers - and 1 case of torture.

Once again SUDO (UK) is greatly concerned by pro-Government militia attacks on civilians in Darfur tending to their farms in order to make money or to simply grow enough food to survive. In total there were 12 such attacks in which our monitors demonstrated the link between the attacks on the civilian population – which included killing, looting, and sexual violence - and the civilians cultivating their fields. Each attack was accompanied by a threat of further action should civilians continue to work their farms.

Furthermore, August again witnessed continued ethnic conflict in Darfur, this time a resurgence of the conflict between the Falata and the Salamat. A total of 81 people were killed and 45 injured during clashes following the theft of livestock from the Salamat by the Falata. Following peace talks mediated by State officials in South Darfur, SUDO (UK) monitors are pleased with the authorities’ decision to no longer pay blood money as compensation on behalf of ethnic groups for members killed. This withdrawal of economic assistance ensures that in future conflicts the ethnic groups themselves are responsible for the payment of blood money, thus removing one form of financial gain from engaging in conflict.

For the second time in four months, SPLM-N forces attacked traditional miners in a gold mine situated in South Kordofan. Soldiers fired indiscriminately upon the miners killing 10 and wounding others. Additionally, monitors state that they further abducted Ethiopian civilians, looted the local market, and sexually assaulted the Ethiopian tea ladies working in the area. This follows a previous attack that resulted in the killing of 38 miners in Talodi Locality.


Using reports submitted by our monitors throughout Darfur, Blue Nile, and South Kordofan, SUDO (UK) recommends the following:

To the Government of Sudan:

To the Armed Opposition Groups:



North Darfur


Members from a Janjaweed militia kidnapped Mohamed Suleiman Sherif, a student, from his home in Kabkabiya. The kidnappers demanded the family pay SDG 22,000 in order to secure the release of the victim. Mohamed Suleiman Sherif was released three days later at 4pm after his family paid the ransom.


A Janjaweed militia attacked Al-Aradeeb area for the purpose of halting farmers from cultivating their fields. During the attack six farmers were injured, and three minors were sexually assaulted.


A Janjaweed militia, made up of nomad settlers, attacked civilians in their farms on the outskirts of Dalma Village, East Jebel Marra. The militia beat the farmers and raped a 23-year-old woman during the attack. Furthermore, they demanded that the farmers cease cultivating their land, threatening them with further violence should they not do so.

The villagers reported the incident to the police and to UNAMID, but no action was taken.


A Janjaweed militia under the command of Al-Omda Al-Sayer, which also falls under the command of Zarouga, abducted El-Sheikh Zakaria Adam Mohamed (aged 58), the Chief of Um Layouna Village in Korma Locality, and took him to an unknown place. The militia demanded that his family pay a ransom of SDG 50,000 to release him.


A Zayadia militia attacked the town of Al-Taweisha with the aim of looting the possessions of the residents. Upon entering the town, the Zayadia militia were confronted by the police. Two civilians, Ibrahim Ishag Ali and Margi Abakr Osman, were killed during the crossfire.


A Janjaweed militia on camel back attacked villages around the area of Tabit. During the attacks the militia raped four women who were tending to their farms. The victims have received treatment and the incident was reported to the police; however, no action was taken.


A 12-year-old girl was attacked and raped by members from a Janjaweed militia. The girl had left her home to fetch water for her family in the village of Um Bagei when she was attacked. The girl has received treatment and the police were informed of the incident; however, no action has been taken.


A Janjaweed militia attacked the village of Moro, near Tabit, where they raped four women who were tending to their farms. The women were found in the bed of a seasonal stream in a terrible condition. They were taken to the hospital for treatment and incident was reported to the police.


A Janjaweed militia raped five women whilst it was on its way to attack the villages of Daba-Nayra and Dowa. The five women were found tending to their farms near the villages in question when the militia found them and threatened to kill them if they resisted. The police in the Commission of East Jebel Marra were informed of the incident but no action was taken.


A group of soldiers from the armed opposition group the Sudan Liberation Army – Abdel-Wahid (SLA-AW) attacked commercial lorries on their way to Fanga market. SLA-AW forces accused the merchants of supporting the Government of Sudan in the Fanga region.

Consequently, they hijacked three commercial lorries loaded with goods and abducted the civilian drivers taking them to their headquarters in Jebel Marra. The three kidnapped civilians are:

The SLA-AW attackers were under the command of Al-Faki and Stephen.


Members from a Janjaweed militia, under the command of Belal Mohamed Sero, attacked a family in their farm near Rwanda IDP Camp in Tawila. During the attack they abducted Mohamed Ismail Mohamed Khatir and his son Adam Mohamed Ismail Khatir. A woman was also raped during the attack.


Three Janjaweed militiamen attacked a 27-year-old pregnant woman in her farm in the area of Wadi Ashra, west of Khazan Tunjur. Each of the militiamen raped the pregnant woman one after the other at gunpoint. The victim is in a very bad condition and is psychologically traumatised following the incident and refuses to speak. She has no access to a health facility nor does she have access to medicine.


Three Janjaweed militiamen shot Yahya Adam Abakr, a local IDP, in Dankoj IDP Camp situated in Saraf Omra. The incident occurred when the men came to Yahya Adam Abakr’s house requesting that he go with them to the local police station, as there was a notification for him. Yahya Adam Abakr then asked the individuals to show him their police ID before he would accompany them to the station. Following this request the militiamen opened fire and fled the scene, leaving Yahya Adam Abakr severely wounded.

Yahya Adam Abakr is in a terrible condition and his family are scared to take him to the hospital fearing that the Janjaweed militia will attack him on the way between his home and the hospital. 

South Darfur


Two policemen attacked and raped a 16-year-old minor inside her home at gunpoint in the village of Bendisi, west of Kubum. The girl’s neighbours heard crying and screaming from the neighbouring home and went to investigate. When they arrived they were threatened by the two policemen at gunpoint and left the building. Fortunately one of the neighbours managed to inform the Police Headquarters, which immediately dispatched a police force to investigate and apprehend the perpetrators. A case has been filed against the police involved and the victim was sent to the hospital. The girl’s family were tending to their farm at the time of the incident.


Four members of a Janjaweed force ambushed six IDPs who were returning from their farms to Otash IDP Camp. The assailants forcibly looted the IDPs’ mobile phones and money.

Additionally, the Janjaweed members questioned the IDPs on whose authorisation they were tending to their farms before then threatening them against returning to their farms. The IDPs informed UNAMID, but nothing has been done.


Three members from a Janjaweed militia attacked Sharif Ali Masar, the Chair of the Commercial Bureau in South Darfur, leading to his hospitalisation for the treatment of a gunshot wound. Sharif Ali Masar was eventually transferred to Khartoum for further treatment. Following the attack the militiamen stole the victim’s car, which was recovered the following day. The perpetrators have not been apprehended.


Two IDPs, Yasin Ahmed Idris and Hussein Adam Abakr, were kidnapped by a local Janjaweed militia whilst they tended to their farms in the area of Gereida, South Darfur. The families of the abducted individuals have been contacted and told to pay a ransom in order to obtain the victims’ release. The incident has been reported to the Commissioner of the Locality, the police and UNAMID; however, no action has been taken.


A civilian vehicle travelling between Kass and Nyala was stopped at a checkpoint manned by a local Janjaweed militia, who demanded an unauthorised road tax from the driver of the car. The driver refused to pay and went to continue his journey. As the car started moving, the militia then opened fire on the vehicle wounding the driver, who was then rushed to Nyala Hospital. The driver died from his injuries the following day.


Farmers from the village of Um Al-Khair were ambushed by a Janjaweed militia whilst travelling to their farms on the road that connects Um Al-Gora to Gereida. The following were killed:

In addition, 10 persons have gone missing, assumed abducted or killed. The police and the Commissioner of Gereida were notified regarding the incident.


Members from the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) attacked the village of Jawa in East Jebel Marra region. Mohamed Suleiman Salih, a local civilian, was killed as he begged the RSF to not loot the village. Following his death the village was looted of civilian possessions and livestock.

The villagers took the dead body to the police and reported the incident; however, the police failed to exercise their duty to protect civilians and the law.


Renewed fighting erupted between the Falata and the Salamat ethnic groups in the Gandool area following the theft of livestock from the Salamat by the Falata. The fighting only stopped following the intervention of the army and its successful efforts to forcibly separate the two fighting ethnic groups.

Four days later, on the 17th August 2015, the State Government summoned the community leaders from the Falata and the Salamat in order to reconcile their differences and bring about a lasting peace between the two ethnic groups.

During the meeting the number of individuals killed and injured were acknowledged by both sides to be 54 dead and 29 injured from the Falata, and 27 dead and 16 injured from the Salamat. The Falata had initially sought to hide the true number of individuals killed from their ethnic group.

Furthermore, during the meeting the State Government announced that it would no longer pay blood money on behalf of any ethnic group. In practice this means that it is now the responsibility of the ethnic group in question to pay blood money to those that have been killed as a result of ethnic clashes. SUDO (UK) monitors have expressed their satisfaction at this change of policy as previously the State had paid large sums of money on behalf of ethnic groups, which some felt had been viewed as a financial incentive to engage in conflict.


A Janjaweed militia member, riding on the back of a camel, shot dead the IDP Nasr Haroon on the outskirts of Al-Salam IDP Camp in Nyala. On hearing the shots, several IDPs ran towards the source to find Nasr Haroon dead and the militiaman on the back of his camel. The IDPs captured the individual and handed him over to the police situated in Al-Salam IDP Camp where they placed the man in detention.


At least three villagers were killed and two injured as a group of civilians were ambushed by a Janjaweed militia as they returned to their homes in Donkey Al-Dom following work in their fields.

The villagers were riding aboard a pickup truck when at 4pm they were attacked by a Janjaweed militia, which opened fire on them. Three were killed and two were injured, whilst the fate of seven is currently unknown. Two of those killed were named as:

The two injured were:

The incident was reported to the police, but no action was taken.


Three civilians were attacked by three members of a Janjaweed militia whilst on their way home from their neighbour’s house in Nyala. In self-defence one of the civilians pulled out a pistol after which the Janjaweed opened fire on the three civilians, killing them instantly.

The police were informed of the incident and were provided with descriptions by the local residents. The police followed the perpetrators and detained them awaiting trial. The dead civilians are:

Central Darfur


Two Janjaweed militiamen attacked and shot dead Abakr Abdeljabar whilst he was herding his sheep on the outskirts of Mukjur village. The two men then looted his 20 sheep, as well as his donkey. On hearing the sounds of shooting, the villagers ran to the source to find Abakr Abdeljabar lying dead with the perpetrators having fled the scene. The incident was reported to the police, but no action was taken.


Three Janjaweed militiamen shot dead Abakr Ali Yousif, a sorghum grinding mill owner, in Mukjur. Abakr Ali Yousif was returning home after finishing his work at 18:30 on his motorcycle when the three men riding aboard a Landcruiser vehicle attacked him. Following his death the men looted his motorcycle, mobile phone and his daily income from the grinding mill. The case was reported to the police but no action was taken.


Members from a Janjaweed militia attacked the civilian population residing in Kebei whilst they were tending to their farms. Kebei is situated in the region of West Jebel Marra, north east of Nertiti.

The militia killed an unspecified number of civilians in a bid to prevent the cultivation of farmland and those that survived the attack were warned against any further attempts to cultivate the land.

The villagers have reported the incident to the local authorities that have thus far failed to act against the perpetrators. This is in spite of the knowledge of the identity of the assailants and their whereabouts. The militia responsible are situated in a Janjaweed Camp in Nertiti.


Four IDP women died in Zalingei IDP camp as a result of a lack of medicines and health care. The following names are three of the four who died:


Monitors have alerted SUDO (UK) to the complete lack of humanitarian support for some 8,000 IDP’s in camps situated in Nertiti, Hammeiia, and Tor. A Janjaweed militia forcibly displaced the civilians from their villages in West Jebel Marra earlier this year. Monitors state that the IDP’s are suffering from hunger and a lack of basic services and provisions.


A member of a Janjaweed militia shot dead Adam Abakr, a mobile phone trader, in his shop in Hai Al-Gazair. The assailant sought to loot Adam Abakr’s merchandise; however, Adam Abakr fought the assailant off until he produced a gun and shot Adam Abakr dead.

The residents of Hai Al-Gazair tried to capture the assailant but he fired upon them and managed to escapes. The residents reported the incident to the police but nothing came as a result.

Blue Nile


Three plain clothed members of the Military Intelligence arrested Hisham Sisi, a 50-year-old farmer from El-Rivad neighbourhood, in the market of Demazin. Hisham Sisi is accused of having a political relation with the SPLM-N due to the geographical location of his farm near an SPLM-N camp. The accusation is based on the absurd logic that Hisham Sisi has never been arrested, beaten or attacked by SPLM-N troops, thus must be in cohorts with them. Evidence from our monitors indicates that Hisham Sisi is being subjected to torture in detention.


Five plain clothed soldiers from Military Intelligence arrested Mohamed Yousif, aged 50, at his home in Al-Higra neighbourhood in Demazin at 10am. Mohamed Yousif is a driver for the World Food Programme and belongs to the Funj ethnic group. He was taken to the Military Intelligence offices based at the Army Headquarters in Demazin with his hands tied behind his back.

Mohamed Yousif is accused of talking by mobile phone to his brother, who is a member of the SPLM-N, in Youbou, which is under the control of the SPLM-N.


The following is a list of individuals that SUDO (UK) monitors have discovered are being detained in a container at the Military Intelligence premises in the Army Headquarters in Demazin:

  1. Awad Gago
  2. Aleid Younis
  3. Gumaa Hamdoon
  4. Hassan Awad
  5. Ali Alim Moon
  6. Aboud El-Jack
  7. Al-Omda Wad Bari
  8. Abas Abu Jo
  9. Gadgin Mohamed Ahmed
  10. Haroon Libis Tarzi
  11. Aboud Ali El-Nour
  12. Abdelrazig Adam
  13. Hassan Wad Kelgo
  14. Al-Mak Bakha
  15. Haroon Murad
  16. Suleiman Tukul Tarabaiza
  17. Beshir Kadis.

These 17 individuals, according to SUDO (UK) monitors, are part of a group of 100 detainees who mostly are made up of individuals from the Ingessanna ethnic group being subjected to this irregular form of detention. The detainees are only allowed out of the containers two times a day to go to the toilet. They are able to leave once in the morning, and again in the evening.

South Kordofan


A group of SPLM-N soldiers attacked a gold mine in Al-Jabal Al-Alakhdar near Alliri, situated 30km south east of Talodi. The attacking forces came from the neighbouring Werni Mountain, an area that has long been under control of the SPLM-N.

At approximately 05:00, the attacking SPLM-N forces arrived in a number of 4x4 Landcruiser vehicles. They fired indiscriminately at the traditional miners, who hail from different parts of Sudan and the neighbouring countries, killing 10 initially and wounding others. A further two later succumbed to their injuries increasing the number killed to 12.

Monitors have thus far identified eight of the 12 persons killed as:

In addition to the above, the SPLM-N soldiers looted the local market that served the miners, raped 20 Ethiopian women who worked as food and tea merchants in the market, and abducted a group of Ethiopian miners. The rest of the miners have fled in different directions towards Alliri west and east.

The mine in question was guarded by a small contingent from the Sudanese Armed Forces. Knowing that they were outgunned the force withdrew as soon as they heard gunshots. Eyewitness testimonies state that the aim of the SPLM-N force was to loot the mining area.

This is the second time that SPLM-N soldiers have attacked gold miners in South Kordofan following the previous incident on the 26th May when a group of SPLM-N soldiers attacked a traditional mining area by the name of Al-Tagula in Talodi locality. At roughly 05:30, the attacking SPLM-N force exchanged fire with the small force of 17 guarding the area, who swiftly retreated. The attack resulted in the killing of 38 miners and the injury of many more. The miners were undertaking Morning Prayer at the time in a mosque built of wood and straw. Some of those killed are identified as:


A group of SPLM-N soldiers attacked a number of traders who were returning to their home in Abasiyia Town after finishing at Al-Jabel market between Rashad and Abasiyia. The soldiers looted 60 cows, which belonged to the trader El-Haj Al-Toum. The traders informed the army garrison based in Al-Migrih who drove off the SPLM-N force and recovered 12 of the stolen cows.


Armed persons, wielding Kalashnikovs, ambushed Ismail Hussein and Abakr Adam both from the Barno ethnic group at Khor Al-Nagga area, 13km east of Abasiyia. The assailants stole the two civilians’ motorcycles, mobile phones, as well as SDG 20 from Abakr Adam.

The perpetrators hid their faces but are believed to be Saga and Idris Nimir from the Popular Defence Force (PDF), a pro-Government paramilitary force.


Mohamed Osman Abakr was ambushed on the same road as that in the incident dated 21st August 2015. Mohamed Osman Abakr was shot at three times, one of which penetrated his leg; however, he was able to escape. The perpetrators of the attack are unknown.

It is important to note that the number of specific human rights abuses recorded in this document certainly underestimates the total number of abuses and their effects on the civilian population. SUDO (UK) only uses information provided to it by its monitors.

Incident Tags