Continuing Detentions and Torture of Students in Khartoum
On the 10th of December many students were detained by the security forces in Khartoum and elsewhere in Sudan, following demonstrations protesting against the death of students in Al-Gezira University.
Some confirmed names of detained students are:
- Al Nour Mukhtar Idris, ex-president of the Darfur Association at the Sudan University – Khartoum
- Mohammed Idris Gido, ex-president of the Darfur Association at the University of Khartoum
- Hassan Barinko – one of the leaders of the Darfur Associations Alliance
- Musa Idris, third year, Faculty of Arts, University of Khartoum
- Wafa Salah, fourth year, Animal Production College, University of Khartoum
- Wala Mohammed, Animal Production College, University of Khartoum
Another student, Musa Idris, was found tortured and thrown on the ground near the Shambat grave yard in Khartoum North; he was taken to the hospital by some passers-by and students.
SUDO UK condemns the arbitrary arrests and the use of force against peaceful protesters and calls upon the Sudanese authorities to
- Immediately release the detained students and give them immediate access to families and lawyers;
- Investigate the incident of the tortured student and to bring the responsible individuals to justice.
Update 16/ December: Names of other detained students:
- Mohamed Haroun Mohammed, president of Darfur association at Alzaeem Alazhari University, Khartoum.
- Abdulrazek Ishaq Mohammed Alzaeem Alazhari University, Secretary General of Darfur association at Alzaeem Alazhari University.
- Taher Issa Haroun, former media secretary at Sudan University of Science and Technology.